seasoned log length wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I saw an ad for seasoned log length hardwood for sale. Is it possible to seasoned wood without splitting it? If it is how long would it take on average? The ad is for $100.00 per cord of seasoned log length hardwood or $75.00 per cord for green.

Matt -

Although some moisture is driven out after the tree is cut to "log lengths", you cannot properly season wood (i.e. get the moisture content into the ideal range of 20-25%) without splitting it. The use of the the term "seasoned" here is misused, in my book. In short, I would still season for at least a summer AFTER you split it, no matter how long the tree has been down.

Everything I have cut and split for the last three years blew down in September of 2004. The stuff I brought up to split yesterday pegs the top number on the moisture meter which tops out at 35%.

mattg1970 said:
I saw an ad for seasoned log length hardwood for sale. Is it possible to seasoned wood without splitting it? If it is how long would it take on average? The ad is for $100.00 per cord of seasoned log length hardwood or $75.00 per cord for green.

The advertised "seasoned" log length wood is not worth paying the extra money for.... Its not "seasoned" no matter how long they were down (possibly rotting, but not seasoned). The $75 for green (hate to say this) may not be too bad of a price depending on where you live. I'd check some more local prices for just log length truckloads if that's what you are interested in, and see if the cost goes down from there. I'd be a little leary of the person advertising the loads like that, but they may be in the ballpark with the green stuff.

I agree with Harley... that's not a bad price at all... just don't plan on burning it until next year. I can speak from experience, because I was taken by the exact same scheme last year. It was my first year burning wood... I bought 3 cords of "seasoned red oak". Seasoned my a$$. It was still at 35% in February...

IMHO its not splitting that make so much difference as the log length. Like, duh, ???what is log length? If its 16" you can season wood fairly well in a year. I would still split it ASAP, stack it loose in sun and breezes, and you should be all set. If its 4' or longer, fohget about usin it this year. Be good to it and cut it to length, split it, and stack it in as much sun and wind as you can provide and look at next year. Then again, I honor the wisdom of Harley, at $75 you could have the green ready with the same procedure for next year too. Early this spring I got some "seasoned log length" that someone just wanted to get rid of. Was mostly black locust (yummy) with some hickory mixed in. :cheese: It had been cut for 2-3 years lying in an open sunny field, I cut it to log length, split it, and could burn it now. I could not have burned it well in April when I cut it and split it though.

Once again thanks for the info. It's kind of funny, I grew up burning wood but I never asked my dad how long he seasoned the wood.

I guess its best to have both seasoned wood and seasoned wood burners. Live and learn..(and learn, and learn, and learn some more..)

jpl1nh said:
IMHO its not splitting that make so much difference as the log length. Like, duh, ???what is log length? If its 16" you can season wood fairly well in a year.

I'd agree with that - but I was assuming that the log length was probably more in the range of maybe 16' plus (not inches), otherwise, they would probably be advertising it as cut (but not split) "seasoned" wood, versus "log length", so maybe that is what they were advertising, and if so - that may be a decent deal, depending on the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.