"Seasoned" logs (?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
So I'm looking for my wood supply for next year. I found a post on CL for wood that seemed to be a good price etc. As they all do, it was listed as "seasoned hard wood". I asked when it was split (I literally could hear a saw in the background.. funny eh?). The story is as follows: The logs were cut a year and a half ago and have been "seasoning" in a pile since that time. He is bucking and splitting them now.

So, I am quite certain this wood is NOT ready to burn now (despite his opinion), but any guesses if I buy it and stack it well now for the summer if it will likely be good to burn this fall? I forgot to ask exactly what type of 'hard wood' it is, but I'll guess oak and ash given what most commonly sold about here - I will ask when I actually call back.

It should be okay if it is not red oak. That could be touchy. Ash, no problem.

You are a very wise man to be buying your wood for next winter now.

be sure its split down good and stack it in a single row along a fence ,should be plenty suitable by next winter

lexybird said:
be sure its split down good and stack it in a single row along a fence ,should be plenty suitable by next winter

Wish I had a fence line to stack along... I'm going to be somewhat challenged to find space to stack all the wood I need for two seasons as it is - not to mention trying to carve out some space that the wife will allow me to use for processing whatever I can scrounge up. I have relatively little prime seasoning realestate and what is in the sun is in the front yard - not a good place since I am afraid it would annoy the wife and please those who are looking to acquire free wood for camping or whatever. Thus I expect to either stack it double/triple deep and tall (with some sort of support on ends) or try my hand at building a HH which might be what I need for my limited RE situation.

This deal is for $190/cord delivered. Very good price at the moment for this area - not as good as getting log length ($100/cord approx) but if it is a year ahead on the seasoning and already split that has to be worth a good part of that $90 premium I figure. Generally I'm finding cords at about $300 delivered. Beginning of last summer they were 220 so I'm thinking this may be about as good as it is going to get for processed wood. I still want to cut/split my own and all, but I don't know that I can get enough down fast enough for next winter (certainly not for good hardwoods, already too late for that if fresh cut eh?). I want 4-5 cords available for each year until I get my usage figured out and stove burn mastered - rather have extra than run out. But I've digressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.