Seasoned my a$$!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansao

Dec 30, 2010
Worcester, MA
This is my first year burning so I wasn't amassing my own wood last year so I have to rely on bought cords. I had been using wood from a guy my best friend has been using, but last week he said the wood he has left is seasoned but wet from snow melt. So, I looked around craiglist and google searches and found a company that said their wood was seasoned 1.5 years and dry for the same price.

He came by the other day and dropped it off. I had again specifically asked how long it's been seasoned. He replied 1.5 years.

Upon inspection, this stuff was as green as a gooses turd. So I called to ask him what he was going to do. During the conversation, he said it has been seasoned 1.5 years. Further prodding - his version of seasoned means leaving the full length timbers on the ground for 1.5 years, not split and stacked seasoned. His solution was to give me 1/4 cord of ash which he says you can burn freshly cut. He says "This is why I avoid getting new customers. If you know how to burn species, then you'd be fine. I got 50 customers that order a cord of this wood every three weeks. Nobody is gonna bother to season by splitting and stacking."

At least my regular guy was able to get me a real seasoned cord for tomorrow after laughing at me.

This is a company in Central MA that sells this as a business. PM if you want the name to avoid.

That guy is quite a businessman - "That is why I avoid getting new customers?"

Welcome to wood burning. The name doesn't even matter, this is what 95% of professional wood sellers do.

ya thats too bad Tansao :mad: you would think the fella would at least give you the heads up?

this wall me and my wife split a couple weeks ago was blocked 3 years ago and it still needs some drying...

loon

DSC_0081.jpg

Yeah - translation: "I've got a pool of people that I've snowed already, and it's a gamble whether any new folks are going to buy into this or not"

At least I have an expensive cord of green wood as a start for next year along with the lesson learned.

jharkin said:
Welcome to wood burning. The name doesn't even matter, this is what 95% of professional wood sellers do.

Why do people buy and burn this? It burns so much faster, a helluva lot harder to get going if the stove isn't already 300 degrees. I will say the species range is good and they are large pieces (but will shrink a little when they dry). Mostly red oak and black (yellow) birch.

If that's the case I should be again thanking my buddy for referring me to the guy I've been using. His wood is actually seasoned.

I personally love the condescending, "If you know how to burn species, then you’d be fine" statement. Ha!

Maybe you should learn how to burn each species you rookie! It has nothing to do with moisture content, rather a good 'feeling' the wood is seasoned and knowledge of how to burn each species.

I've called two 'companies' trying to get wood, I suppose my questions I left them on voicemail pushed them away; neither one called back. "How long has the wood been split and stacked" is one of those questions. :D

Not much to add here. I just had to say that was a great story. "This is why I avoid getting new customers" Classic.

Hey Tansao,

I knew when you were looking for seasoned wood this time of the year you'd find this. Just imagine being in the cordwood business, it sometimes comes a a side business from tree work or land clearing. The piles often sit out in the weather even if split. So the wood is sometimes passed the green stage but not ever usually dry. The only way it would be dry is if it was stored under cover or in a warehouse. The best hope is that the wood may have had some tarps covering it. It is just not cost effective to use a warehouse space to store cordwood, there's not enough money in it.

All that said, the guy who sold you the wood is probably typical. All the comments he made about new customers is just another way he justifies the BS he tells his new customers. He sounds like a real A$$!! But I'm sorry to hear that the wood you got is not up to par. Live and learn, the best way buy seasoned fire wood is probably to get some sort of Bio Brick otherwise it's a crapshoot.

If all of his current customers have old smokedragons or open fireplaces, they probably don't know or care about the difference between "cut a long time" and "seasoned".

They clear state forest land under contract to sell the firewood in the winter. I can see leaving the split wood in piles like a lot do, but to not even split it and call it 1.5 years seasoned. That's just plain misleading.

Tansao said:
They clear state forest land under contract to sell the firewood in the winter. I can see leaving the split wood in piles like a lot do, but to not even split it and call it 1.5 years seasoned. That's just plain misleading.

I agree, I've seen posts on CL warning people about certain cordwood dealers, they just are not straight forward when asked the question, is it seasoned wood? The way they see it is they just sold another cord and made some $. I would never buy any wood from anyone unless I was allowed to look at the supply beforehand. You just don't know what you're paying for. That is if I was expecting dry seasoned wood. Good luck with your next batch and get ready for next year!

Franks said:
Not much to add here. I just had to say that was a great story. "This is why I avoid getting new customers" Classic.

I think he should provide a more detailed policy: "New customers only welcome if you have low standards and/or expectations. If you are looking for quality and honesty, please shop elsewhere. If you are ignorant and apathetic, I am here to serve you."

Fortunatley I don't need to buy firewood now...but when I did the question was always phrased as "When was it split"?.....I could care less when it was felled or bucked. Only a handful of people I spoke with could say they split the wood more than a few months before the inquiry.

Season wood this time of year! Dont matter what they say 95 percent are sold out(like said before) Buy now for next year at a discount........

One can see this sort of thing all over the place. One dealer not far from us sells "seasoned ash" and he sells a lot of it. He can hardly keep up with the orders. He is cleaning out some fence rows that are mostly ash and some elm. Bu then, there are some regular burners around this area and they cut some usually in November and then again maybe in February. They do the same thing every year.

I have 2 guys cutting some dead ash off our place. They came last Sunday and one told me all he had left was about 3/4 of a wheelbarrow load left to burn from the last time (2 weeks ago). So he had to get there to get some wood to keep warm. The ash may be dieing but it still has plenty of moisture. It is what they like!!! Okay...

Tansao said:
jharkin said:

Why do people buy and burn this? It burns so much faster, a helluva lot harder to get going if the stove isn't already 300 degrees. I will say the species range is good and they are large pieces (but will shrink a little when they dry). Mostly red oak and black (yellow) birch.

If that's the case I should be again thanking my buddy for referring me to the guy I've been using. His wood is actually seasoned.

Most firewood sellers just cant afford to let there stock sit that long, so they just sell it as seasoned....I would let them know what you think! Buy now and never let it happen again...........

Gee I thought this topic dealt with your back side and some kind of accident "Seasoned my a$$!!"

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. This was the first year that I have had to order wood and it has been a learning experience. Funny thing is I have yet to get a real "cord" delivered and most of it is too wet to burn for heat. I am actually kind of disappointed in these guys as they try to take advantage of you. So from now on I have to be home when it is delivered, as the wife just doesn't know.

I had a friend of a friend drop off a "cord" of "seasoned" wood; he even stacked it and it wasn't even a half cord, plus it was too wet to burn, so the next day I had to order more from another company. They dropped off 3/4 a cord and half was seasoned.

I will order 3 cords now for next year. If anyone knows of a good wood guy near Downingtown/West Chester PA, give me a shout!

Like many others this winter my brother and myself burnt through our wood poles. We were looking to purchase a couple of cords each but after dealing with the same situation with these wood vendors. We decided to buy a couple of tons of the Envi Blocks to get us through this winter. The cost is the same as a cord and it is known to be dry and it gives off more btus than cord wood. I was skeptical but after having great results I am a believer and feel we made the right choice. Just something to thinnk about.

The word business decision is a catch phrase for "I am going to screw you and smile!" That guys was just deceptive. Weather or not its late in the season has nothing to do with telling the truth. I would have called him back to pick it up. Or discount it by 30%. If he sells as recently cut that is fine. Semi-seasoned, maybe. I don't know how people can sleep at night. Just be honest and people will thank you. Now, anyone want to buy a bridge? :)

burntime said:
The word business decision is a catch phrase for "I am going to screw you and smile!" That guys was just deceptive. Weather or not its late in the season has nothing to do with telling the truth. I would have called him back to pick it up. Or discount it by 30%. If he sells as recently cut that is fine. Semi-seasoned, maybe. I don't know how people can sleep at night. Just be honest and people will thank you. Now, anyone want to buy a bridge? :)

Two many people out there that think if you have a saw your in the firewood bushiness heck not sure if they even know what they have. Lots of people out of work one day a cord of wood the next in a ditch. Doesnt make it right but thats whats going on. I have learn I can put a real cord of season wood for sale( 200.00 bucks). They will buy a half cord down the street for 150.00 unseasoned wood thinking thats the better deal....Go Figure.

Your right Jay, but YOU made the decision. Deception is not good business. If you know its green and buy it that fine. Selling a cavaliar as a caddy is not right...

burntime said:
Your right Jay, but YOU made the decision. Deception is not good business. If you know its green and buy it that fine. Selling a cavaliar as a caddy is not right...

Yes I did! I dont sell firewood anymore....lol I have people knocking at my door i just turn them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.