Seasoned my a$$!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few good stacks and I get goofs asking me if I will deliver a cord in my ranger for 100 bucks. I always laugh and ask how close they are. Then I say sure, 100 bucks for delivery and 300 a cord. Guys get 250 for semidry and 300 for dry plus delivery here. That usually sends them back down the drive ;~)

This is my second year burning wood. The first year I called an add for seasoned wood and ordered 4 full cord. the dude drops it off in rounds and still said it is seasoned. I walked over to where he dumped the rounds and looked at them. My first comment to him was gees I didn't know seasoned wood came with twigs with green leaves attached! Live and learn...dealers don't sell seasoned wood.

jharkin said:
Welcome to wood burning. The name doesn't even matter, this is what 95% of professional wood sellers do.

+1

Also the part-timers. That's the definition of "seasoned" around here universally. They think I'm nuts, and making both burning and life more difficult by stacking it for a year or so before I put it in the stove.

There are VERY few wood-sellers, whether they're dealers or the guy down the road with a woodlot, who burn the way we do here. They're going on the "old rules," which are that anything cut down and lying in the woods for a couple months is "seasoned."

Not their fault, they're just operating on a different tradition.

I ordered some from a guy I know, to get a couple of people through 'til Spring. I've seen how he seasons his wood, so I figured it would probably be OK. I called him and went over there with my new toy in hand; The Lowe's General moisture meter. I saw a couple of stacks on his house and asked him about them. He said they were for gas heaters. I should have asked him if he had ever burned wood. I'm sure that many of these wood mongers don't even realize that EPA stoves require dry wood, or if they do realize it, just don't care as long as they can sell their wood.
The wood tested at 20- 25%, so I bought some. Well, apparently that isn't near dry enough for Oak; Some splits just hissed for a while, a couple bubbled water out the ends. I want to stay on a friendly basis with this guy, so I'm not going to tell him what I think of his wood. Oh, well, everyone I gave the wood to has some that's ready to burn...for next year. I've got a bunch of Ash that's going to be split in the next month or two, so we'll all be OK from here on out. Live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.