Seasoned Orange Osage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tfdchief said:
CountryBoy19 said:
Constrictor said:
bikerz said:
smokinjay said:
ksburner" date="1319564440 said:
We are going to be taking out about 250-300 yards of a hedge row (osage orange) this winter. We have somebody who has agreed to purchase the land in 2 years, but we want to get the hedge posts and firewood cut out before they take possession. We should get a great deal of firewood out of that when it is all said and done.

Some body going to be busy sharpening chains! ;-)

Have been cutting hedge for nearly 30 years. "Chipper chain" is the only way to go. Can cut nearly a cord on green on one sharpening.
I cut 2 16' trailer loads of green hedge last week, at least 3 cords on the same chain and its still not dull.
That has been my experience as well. Hedge/Osage Orange doesn't dull my chains nearly as much as most people say it does. I could typically cut plenty before the chain needed a little touch up. If I wanted to push it to see what type of life I could get out of it I think I could easily cut a cord plus with a single chain.
Don't cut it in a hedge row like around here (Central IL) and expect that. To much stuff embedded in it, like barbed wire fence.

Just was going to say that too about barbed wire fence or even deer stand steps. Green Hedge is not bad on the chain, but partially to seasoned hedge is horrible on a chain.

bikerz said:
smokinjay said:
ksburner said:
We are going to be taking out about 250-300 yards of a hedge row (osage orange) this winter. We have somebody who has agreed to purchase the land in 2 years, but we want to get the hedge posts and firewood cut out before they take possession. We should get a great deal of firewood out of that when it is all said and done.

Have been cutting hedge for nearly 30 years. "Chipper chain" is the only way to go. Can cut nearly a cord on green on one sharpening.

Whats a Chipper chain?

chvymn99 said:
bikerz said:
smokinjay said:
ksburner said:

Whats a Chipper chain?

Sometimes called a "chisel point". The profile is different. They will kick back more, but cut faster and stay sharper longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.