Seasoned Veterans and Rain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
All you "seasoned veterans" of wood burning, who've been burning wood in a wood stove for years, will find that this may give you a chuckle, but I'll express it anyway, because I know you've "been there" and can understand.

As I get my wood together for the upcoming season, (only my first FULL season of burning, 24/7), I have had my tarps out, and ........like my Jeep.........would cover the wood when it was going to rain, and uncover it afterward. It was "like my Jeep" because I was watching the weather, and in inclement weather was "top up and doors on." It became a ritual of sorts. Somewhat like what I was doing with the wood and the tarp.

Finally, after my wife joined the chorus of those who were encouraging me to leave the wood uncovered, I did so, and of course it rained the next day.

I can't tell you how hopeless I felt, seeing the wood wet! It was like I just threw my hard earned money out the window. I (almost but "not") was feeling so bad about the wood being wet that I was ready to cry. It seemed sooooo contrary to what I believed should be.

within a day or so after the rain, the wood seems dry, feels dry, ..........but I don't know about the wood inside the stack. The rain that went down through the stack and sat on the wood in the middle of it. I could have moldy rot going on in there, and I wouldn't see it until I had to pull wood from that part of the pile in the winter, for burning.

For you seasoned veterans, (pun intended), I'm sure all the right answers are floating around on your tongue, and you are cussing me out while reading this, for being so overly concerned about the wood. That's ok. I'm just "learning" what to worry about and what NOT to worry about.

-soupy1957

Relax Soupy . . . generally the rain doesn't penetrate that far down into the stacks . . . and like the rain that hits the top it should evaporate soon enough . . . and don't worry, you're not going to tear apart the woodpile this winter and find huge mushrooms growing in the middle . . . it takes a little more than a bit of rain to cause your wood to start molding or breaking down.

So chaulk this one up in the "don't worry about it" column.

Oh . . . and about the Jeep . . . it's the same way . . . those old CJs and Wranglers were fine with a bit of rain on them . . . I mean, heck that's why they tended to have vinyl seats and drain plugs in the floors . . . oh sure, the carpeting (if it had any) might get wet . . . but a day or two in the sun and it would be good to go.

Firefighterjake: Yep, I recall the first time I left the top off, because those intelligent weather folks said it wouldn't rain, but it did. Everything was soaked. I pulled the drain plugs (wonderful that they are there), and left the vehicle in the sun.

I suppose I will have to decide when IS the right time to "cover' the wood.........opinions anyone? Some have said NOT to let the leaves falling off the trees lay on the wood; some have said don't cover the wood in winter, unless there's a storm coming; some have said don't let your wood dry out too MUCH! (THAT one surprised me on some level. I suppose that wood that's TOO dry will basically evaporate when I burn it, not building up much heat)...........

Living and learning as I go.......

-Soupy1957

I'm hardly seasoned with one season under my belt...but...

I'm leaving my stacked uncovered this year. We had some decent rain in VT awhile back and I saw that the top few rows of splits were wet. The next day, after a little sun and wind; and despite the humidity, it dried up pretty quickly. From my own observation, rain is just surface moisture and it eventually goes away.

I did the tarp/tent thing last year....and I think I have learned its a loosing battle.
Going with everything uncovered for this year, and maybe will cover the tops in late fall or so before the snow flies.
This will be my third burning season with the insert

I only cover the next week or so worth of wood in the winter if snow is forecast just so I don't have to chop ice off the wood. Otherwise no cover.

It rains a lot here, but I don't really worry about covering until mid Sept. or so.

soupy1957 said:
Firefighterjake: Yep, I recall the first time I left the top off, because those intelligent weather folks said it wouldn't rain, but it did. Everything was soaked. I pulled the drain plugs (wonderful that they are there), and left the vehicle in the sun.

I suppose I will have to decide when IS the right time to "cover' the wood.........opinions anyone? Some have said NOT to let the leaves falling off the trees lay on the wood; some have said don't cover the wood in winter, unless there's a storm coming; some have said don't let your wood dry out too MUCH! (THAT one surprised me on some level. I suppose that wood that's TOO dry will basically evaporate when I burn it, not building up much heat)...........

Living and learning as I go.......

-Soupy1957
<chuckle> Jeeps tend to get a bit, er, wet from time to time. Back in '89 I was moving my soon-to-be bride down to my hometown (about 120 miles from her). We had already moved most of her stuff on a box truck and had a small amount of stuff to go. She assured me that what she had left would fit in her *very* compact car and my....CJ7. So, happy as a lark I take off to her house with the CJ wearing the bare minimum of a bikini top. When we finally had it loaded I had a bookcase tied to the grill, ironing board tied to the passenger side (outside), the backend packed, passenger side packed (wee little hole to look out for safety), and a mattress strapped across the rollbar and windshield frame. Everything was fine until it started raining, then the wind started blowing, then the limbs staring sprouting wings, wind blowing the jeep from side to side...there was more water hitting the backside of the windshield than there was the frontside of it....hitting the brakes resulted in a flood of water rushing out of the now heavy soggy mess of a mattress above my head. At the halfway point there is a gas station that I pulled into...and ornery ol' cuss ran the station and deeply resented *anyone* blocking his gas pumps. I pulled right up to one (under the awning), got out and walked in...he didn't say a word to me (I must of looked like a maniac or something standing there soaked to the bone morrow). Come to find out on the evening news there were a series of tornadoes that went through the area that I was traveling in...no wonder!!!

You *really* gotta love a jeep to keep driving one....I've owned a '49 Willis Overland, '65 Kaiser Pickup, '79 CJ7, '91 Cherokee, and a '03 Wrangler...still have the last three though the CJ7 needs a motor. But, as for a CJ type....wet is just part of it. %-P

Putting a seasoned veteran out in the rain this close to the 4th of July is absolutely horrible! Oh, and what they said about the wood.

Matt

Ah, the old to cover or not cover debate. Glad I don't have to worry about it anymore since I have a wood shed that holds 2 years worth and I leave the rest outside in a heap uncovered til there's room in the shed the following year. Get a couple years ahead, it will relieve your stress.

Nice feeling ain't it Todd. This is the first year in a while that we are in the same position. 2 years worth in the shed. Another years worth stacked uncoverded and we still have a big pile on the ground. I love it!

52 again this morning of Juneuary 32nd. We are burning electrons waiting for the sun. The say that on July 5th, summer's coming.

First year I had outdoor woodstacks and no shed I covered my stacks in October or early-November . . . basically before the snow flew . . . but if it makes you feel better I would say cover your stacks anytime you feel like it if it means bringing you comfort and joy in knowing your wood is under cover.

The wife and I have often driven around in the parking lot of Lowe's and Home Dippit and looked at those fairly large barn-like sheds they have out there for anywhere from $1,000.00 and up. We talked about getting one. I think I see the logic.............maybe next summer!!

The other thing I'm not sure of, since this is our first full season of burning, is how much wood we'll consume. Of course that depends on the house, and so forth, (how tight it is, etc), and my home IS indeed, fairly "tight." I made a calculated guess that we would use 3 cords this winter, here in New England, but that is only a guess based on what others have said, around me. I suppose ole Mother Nature could throw us a mickey and it could either be a worse winter than normal, or a very mild one, which obviously will have an effect on how much we burn.

Back when I was a rookie Volunteer Fireman in my town, I remember setting my scanner next to my bed, and leaving my clothes and shoes out, so I could jump-n-run when the alarm went off. Boy, was that DUMB!! I eventually learned to set a schedule for when I'd be able to be at the Firehouse, during set times, and "off" when I couldn't be there, rather than getting up at all ungodly hours of the night (I DID pull some 3rd shift hours once and a while AT the Firehouse though, mind you), and waking up the whole house.

I fear that I may be like that with the fire in the wood stove, constantly getting up to check the burn, and keeping it stoked and burning. No wonder some of my friends sleep at night in their Lazy Boy rockers in the living room. It's easier that way, I suppose. The point I'm trying to make here, is that I'll be learning how to keep a fire going 24/7, and still getting the sleep I need!

-Soupy1957

I stack on pallets or laid out 2x4's. I cover the tops with plywood, rubber roofing, or whatever. I ONLY cover the top of the piles.

Some stuff ain't covered at all, but will be in time.

I've seen 2x4's lay out for a couple years, you know, on stacks or whatever, and it takes a while for 'em to rot. I've seen downed trees lay for years, and I've cut 'em up and split 'em, I mean, round here it takes a while for a tree to rot up.

I have pallets that have been out in the weather for 3 years and they ain't rotted, not even close. Now, the bottoms, where they touch the ground, they've rotted there, but the top slats are solid as they were 3 years ago.

If your wood is up off the ground rain ain't no problem. It gets to be a problem when you go for wood in the fall/winter and it ain't dry, or it's covered in snow.

But once again, year round, I only cover the tops of my piles.

First year stacks don't get covered until fall, older stacks are covered on the tops only.

I top cover everything from the day it is stacked. Always will.

As to getting up to check the stove and how much you will burn the first full year, we all did it and still do sometimes and you will burn more wood the first year than you ever will again. It just happens that way. You think you have to see those flames all of the time. You don't, but you will learn how your stove burns and how the heat in your house maintains. And then there are those nights when you just say the hell with it and go to sleep. Somehow the place doesn't magically look like the Ice Palace in Dr. Zhivago the next morning.

The mold and rot that you are concerned of can only exist with the right conditions. Wood that has been split and stacked with access to wind and sun will not produce that. Just today, I moved 2/3 of a cord of elm that I had split and stacked last fall on pallets over to my racks closer to the house for this winter use. The location was not the best, as it was next to my shed under a maple tree. Both very limited sun and wind. Yea, the leaves fell on it, the rain and snow fell as well. This spring we have had above average rainfall and with torrential downpours. Guess what>DRY DRY DRY...all the way down to the pallets! I was just amazed; even at the fact that when it was stacked, it was like a sponge; it's elm...it was just full of water and now, dry as a bone. Going to put the moisture meter to it tomorrow and report back.

Let the piles go naked! Cover em up in the fall.

In my first year of wood burning (~3 years ago), I had my one incidence of seeing mold growing on some splits. I had made the mistake of covering a pile of new splits near fully with a blue tarp. Trapped a lot of moisture, and the results were inevitable. But that wood turned out fine, however, once I grasped that it's more important for the wood to breathe than for no rain to ever hit the wood.

New wood burners take a while to adjust to the notion that you want your wood uncovered 'for a while' and that yes, despite getting rained on, the wood is indeed seasoning. It's really kind of counterintuitive. "No cover until fall" is right, but so is "cover stacks from the outset, but only the tops" (Brother Bart). You will evolve your own personal style for your wood processing.

soupy1957 said:
The wife and I have often driven around in the parking lot of Lowe's and Home Dippit and looked at those fairly large barn-like sheds they have out there for anywhere from $1,000.00 and up. We talked about getting one. I think I see the logic.............maybe next summer!! They look good . . . but in my own opinion you can build something far better and cheaper . . . they're not really designed to hold the weight of lots of wood . . . lawn mowers and hand tools, sure . . . but a few cords and I'm thinking those small 2 x 4 stringers will be snapped in two.

The other thing I'm not sure of, since this is our first full season of burning, is how much wood we'll consume. Of course that depends on the house, and so forth, (how tight it is, etc), and my home IS indeed, fairly "tight." I made a calculated guess that we would use 3 cords this winter, here in New England, but that is only a guess based on what others have said, around me. I suppose ole Mother Nature could throw us a mickey and it could either be a worse winter than normal, or a very mild one, which obviously will have an effect on how much we burn. My own take . . . gather, buy or cut as much wood as you can . . . if you don't use all the wood this year, you'll have a jump on next year with some nicely seasoned (two year old) wood . . . and if it is a bad winter you'll be happy to not run out. In my own mind, it's always better to have too much wood.

Back when I was a rookie Volunteer Fireman in my town, I remember setting my scanner next to my bed, and leaving my clothes and shoes out, so I could jump-n-run when the alarm went off. Boy, was that DUMB!! I eventually learned to set a schedule for when I'd be able to be at the Firehouse, during set times, and "off" when I couldn't be there, rather than getting up at all ungodly hours of the night (I DID pull some 3rd shift hours once and a while AT the Firehouse though, mind you), and waking up the whole house.

I fear that I may be like that with the fire in the wood stove, constantly getting up to check the burn, and keeping it stoked and burning. No wonder some of my friends sleep at night in their Lazy Boy rockers in the living room. It's easier that way, I suppose. The point I'm trying to make here, is that I'll be learning how to keep a fire going 24/7, and still getting the sleep I need! Old school burning with old school stoves . . . I rarely get up during the night to feed the stove . . . even in the dead of winter . . . sure it may be a bit cooler in the morning when I wake up, but a few minutes after reloading the stove with a fresh load on the coals and the stove is up and running again. I am fortunate however as my wife works nights and there is typically a day or two when she is switching to/back from working nights to staying awake so she typically has 1-2 nights a week when she is up and home and she'll load the stove all night long . . . otherwise, I don't bother getting up. Now I should also mention that I do have my oil boiler set for 60 degrees . . . but honestly it doesn't turn on unless we're in the sub-zero temps. And yeah, burning 24/7 is a lot easier than burning once or twice a day . . . for one thing you're not always trying to bring everything up from the ambient temp to 60-80 degrees and second, you tend to get into a routine. Nah, no rockers are needed.

-Soupy1957

Its been a while since I have been on this site, and I will be going into my second year of burning with the wood stove.

I like the cover just the tops technique. I stack the wood and let it sit for a month without anything at first. My theory is this helps to rinse sap, dirt, and poison ivy oil, or anything else that got on the splits. After that its just a top tarp cover with almost no over hang. This system for me helps prevent some of the rain while still allowing the split ends to see the wind and sun. also no over hang means they stay put even in 60mph winds. Right before the first serious snow/freezing rain of the season I move 1/2 cord to a rack next to the garage. This year my plan is to have a real roof over it and maybe some sides to prevent snow drifts.

I will say that on an average year, the cover no cover would make very little difference. But last summer the first 3 months was almost straight rain here in New England and I think the no cover people suffered a little bit in the begging of the season.

Veterans usually season better uncovered. But it is not a pretty sight.

Soupy, a lot depends upon what type of wood you have and how you stack it. Because you have to burn it this coming winter, I'd highly recommend stacking it rather loosely to let the air circulate better. Stack it where wind will hit the sides of the stacks (not the ends) and hopefully in sunshine. To choose between sun and wind; go with the wind. It also helps to know what type of wood you have because it all does not dry the same. For example, compare red oak to red maple and there is a world of difference. I'd burn the red maple the following season but wait 3 years on the red oak.

I've burned wood for a few seasons and have found what works best for us is to cut in the winter when there are no bugs to contend with, no bird nests to be concerned with and the sap is down. We usually cut in the winter and split in the spring but winter is an excellent time to split the wood too.

In the first summer and fall the wood is left uncovered but stacked so the wind hits the sides of the piles. Late fall or early winter we then cover but covering with tarps is a last resort. Many times it is better left uncovered rather than use tarps.

Wood-2010b.gif

Woodfrom2009.gif

After covering the stacks, we just wait a couple of years before we burn and this method has worked out very well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.