Seasoned vs. Kiln dried

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
Anyone notice a burning difference between seasoned cord wood and kiln dried? What is the ideal moisture content for burning wood in a steel stove? Thanks

Below 25% is considered the best. Beware of kiln dried, if the moisture content of the wood is too low, it can be difficult to regulate the burn and over fire conditions can happen. Below 25% moisture, seasoned cord wood, just like the MFG. intended. Not saying that other wood (scrap wood, kiln dried, trim scraps, etc.) can't be burned, just be sharp, and don't burn any driftwood or treated lumber. Some stove MFG's will void all warranties if anything BUT seasoned cord wood is used.

Safe burning.

I would add, there is a lower limit on "optimal" - the ideal burning moisture seems to be about 20% w/ a range of "good" between 15-25% - approximate numbers.

Above 25% you start getting reduced heat output and increased creosote problems

Below 15% you are likely to run into problems with the wood igniting to quickly, leading to over fire problems.

I've never tried it, but supposedly "Kiln dried firewood" is only dried to about 15%, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Construction lumber is dried to around 8%, and I believe furniture wood is dried even more - use caution when burning, don't overload the stove, and ideally mix it wth regular cordwood.

Gooserider

I've been buying 2 or 3 cords of kiln dried cordwood for the past several years and have found it to be great. The moisture content is between 15 and 20%. I have limited space for storing wood and burn about 8 cords a winter. I use seasoned wood until late December when the kiln dried is delivered. Having it for the coldest part of the season is a real plus - stove gets up to operating temperature in the morning much more quickly and the heat output does seem to be higher. I'd buy all kiln dried if I could afford it, but the difference in cost (205 vs. 240 per cord this year) is considerable.

RISurfer20 said:
Anyone notice a burning difference between seasoned cord wood and kiln dried? What is the ideal moisture content for burning wood in a steel stove? Thanks
Kiln Drying firewood is a faster way of seasoning firewood. Kiln dried firewood has the same M/C of a good quality seasoned firewood that has been air dried for X amount of months. There is no difference in the burning of kiln dried vs seasoned firewood.
Firewoodguy

Status
Not open for further replies.