Seasoned wood that got wet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I went to throw some more wood into the basement the other night and realized that the weekend rain storm had exposed a huge flaw in one of my tarps. So needless to say, now I have a bunch of wood that was nice and seasoned and dry, and now it is wet. In your experience, how long does it usually take for this wood to get back to a burnable state? It is in the same room as my wood furnace so it is exposed to radiant heat and I have a fan circulating air in the room right now.

ikessky said:
I went to throw some more wood into the basement the other night and realized that the weekend rain storm had exposed a huge flaw in one of my tarps. So needless to say, now I have a bunch of wood that was nice and seasoned and dry, and now it is wet. In your experience, how long does it usually take for this wood to get back to a burnable state? It is in the same room as my wood furnace so it is exposed to radiant heat and I have a fan circulating air in the room right now.
i bet a few days ought to do it. i dunno.

If it was solid, not punky, it should be dry already.

Near the stove should be a few days to a week . . . unless water got under the bark. Might be worth it to take some bark off a pieces and check.

ikessky said:

really wet wood in my furnace room will be dry in 24-72 hours I rotate a cord of wood in 3 different stacks so wet wood doesn't touch any dry wood.

Surface moisture dries out pretty much overnight if the wood is indoors and not stacked too tightly. Outside can take a week or two depending.

Most of the pieces looked pretty good the next day. There are a couple pieces that had big ice chunks frozen to them that are taking a little longer. I don't have to use the stuff for another week or two, so I'm guessing my worrying is for not.

I agree. You should do fine.

It'll help a wee bit with the dryness in the room for a couple days and then it will be like nothing ever happened to it. After a week, it will be even drier than it was under cover outside.

it's probably nice to get some of that moisture into the air. my house gets pretty dry (but it's not unbearable right now)

I threw a couple pieces on the coals that were in the stove when I got home for lunch. It lit up just fine and took off like normal. Looks like I'll have to brave the cold tonight and get more wood into the basement.

ikessky said:
I threw a couple pieces on the coals that were in the stove when I got home for lunch. It lit up just fine and took off like normal. Looks like I'll have to brave the cold tonight and get more wood into the basement.
If the wood was seasoned long enough to being with, don't worry too much about surface dampness from rain/snow. Throw it in the stove and that dampness will be gone in a flash.

When I've had to bust splits out of the pile with a sledge hammer due to (melted)snow/frozen ice, tossed in a hot stove or onto a burning fire would be OK, but trying to light a fire with it was NG. Overnite on the cellar floor usually melted enough of the ice.
Unless it was waterlogged punky stuff, that would take longer.

3989711647_03610c464b.jpg

We pile the seasoned wet wood on one side or the other the draw from the dry side. Before you know it the wet stuff is dry the dry indoor atmosphere just sucks the moisture out of everything.

As you discovered it's not a big deal if the seasoned wood gets wet, covered in snow or ice . . . just give the wood a few hours inside and they'll burn fine. Last year I was hauling in many a piece of wood that had chunks of ice or snow attached to it from being on the bottom of the stack of wood and in no time at all the wood was ice and snow-free and good to burn.

quads said:
If the wood was seasoned long enough to being with, don't worry too much about surface dampness from rain/snow. Throw it in the stove and that dampness will be gone in a flash.

Except....

.... Don't throw a split with a mega hunk of ice or snow still attached to it directly into a hot cast iron stove without melting it off first. Extremes of temperature like that can crack the stove. I've done it countless times before I found out it was a big no-no, and I always got away with it. Only takes one time for it not to be OK, though.

Battenkiller said:
quads said:

Except....

.... Don't throw a split with a mega hunk of ice or snow still attached to it directly into a hot cast iron stove without melting it off first. Extremes of temperature like that can crack the stove. I've done it countless times before I found out it was a big no-no, and I always got away with it. Only takes one time for it not to be OK, though.
Yes, that could be a concern possibly, especially with thinner/cheaper cast iron. No worries here. My stove is steel. And it's a 7 cubic foot firebox, so nothing ever touches the sides anyway.

I threw some more in last night and checked it later. The snow and ice was gone in a matter of a few hours. Surface was dry to the touch this morning.

Battenkiller said:
quads said:
No worries here. My stove is steel. And it's a 7 cubic foot firebox, so nothing ever touches the sides anyway.

7 cu.ft.? That's not a stove, Quads, that's a crematory!
Ha! Possibly.

quads said:
No worries here. My stove is steel. And it's a 7 cubic foot firebox, so nothing ever touches the sides anyway.

Sheesh, Quads! Did you recycle an old silo and fab up your own stove? :)

Shari

Shari said:
quads said:

Sheesh, Quads! Did you recycle an old silo and fab up your own stove? :)

Shari
Half a silo.

Not really! It was bought new in about 1970 in Wisconsin Rapids, which I believe is where it was also made. It's much like a Fisher.

My seasoned wood sits uncovered until it comes up to my backdoor rack. When it does come in the house wet it burns just fine. I also usually bring in the next load and leave it next to the stove during the burn cycle and its dry and ready to go 4-6 hours later when its time to load it.

Thanks for all the replies! I was getting nervous because I have to go away on business next week and my wife insists that she can run the wood furnace while I'm gone. It's not hard, but I didn't want to leave a bunch of wet wood for her to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.