1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Seasoned wood that is "wet"

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by chutes, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chutes

chutes Member

Loc:
    CT
    I have two different areas where my seasoned wood is stacked. One section is outdoors (about 2.5 cord), tops only covered by tarp. Other 2.5 cord in a shed. My plan is to use the outdoor stuff first and save the stuff in the shed. I know that my wood is seasoned because it burns incredibly well. We got some horizontal rains here in CT, so my outdoor stuff did get a bit wet.

Here's my question:
    If creosote is caused by smoke and water (I think that is what AP taught me), then is my "wet" seasoned wood something that I should avoid burning?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Most likely if you have a couple of dry days, that surface moisture is gonna be gone anyhow. Burn 'em if ya got 'em.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If you can split the wood and the freshly exposed interior faces of the wood are still nice and dry, it's usually fine. To get dry wood, water has a have a chance to puddle and sit on or under the wood for awhile. Then it starts to soak it up.
  4. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    As long as it's not on the ground, in your swimming pool, or covered in snow, that water won't get too deep into the wood, and will dry as Jags said, or will dry shortly after adding it to the stove if it's still moist.
  5. chutes

chutes Member

Loc:
    CT
    Thanks everyone. I just filled the stove with the outdoor stuff. I can already tell that it is taking a little longer to get going (probably because of some of the moisture on the outside) but even as I type this it is starting to chug along pretty good. Plus, I took a walk outside and there is no smoke coming out of my stack, which I assume is a good sign.

Thanks again.
  6. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I have stacked a few damp splits near the stove and the "surface" water was gone by the time these splits hit the coals. No Problens at all.
  7. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)
    don't worry... i threw in some hardwood flooring (brazilian cherry ) that has been in my basement with a dehumidifier for over 3months and it started hissing!!!!lmao!!!! can you imagine that!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.