seasoned wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

how long after cutting elm and ash trees that are dead with bark having already fallen off does it take to be considered dry or seasoned enuff to be burnt...It is being stored inside a dry barn..these were standing trees..thanks ...CROWN on the rocks...ZZZim

I burned 6months after cut. Both burned well.

The Ash will be ready to go right away, but the Elm could still be wet, that stuff holds a lot of water. If possible separate it and burn the Ash first.

I was told buy my local tree cutter that Ash could be burned green. He recently dropped a large trailer load in my back yard as he was cutting nearby.
Can Ash be burned green?

BigV said:
I was told buy my local tree cutter that Ash could be burned green. He recently dropped a large trailer load in my back yard as he was cutting nearby.
Can Ash be burned green?

yepp. i think the little poem goes "ash green ash dry is good for a king to warm his slippers by"?

You CAN burn ash green. True. But it is still better to season it some. 6 months usually does it. That said, one winter we did burn all green ash and got along okay. Just had to clean the chimney an extra time.

You will still get more heat from ash after it has been seasoned for a while rather than having that heat go up the chimney.

rich81 said:
BigV said:
Can Ash be burned green?

yepp. i think the little poem goes "ash green ash dry is good for a king to warm his slippers by"?

They don't just make this stuff up.

May your woodshed always be full and all your kindling dry.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke.
Apple wood will scent your room
With an incense like perfume.
Oaken logs, if dry and old,
Keep away the winter’s cold.
But an ash wet or ash dry
A king shall warm his slippers by.

Ash, cut it down, split it up and burn it. Seasoning is optional.

If you're putting it inside as soon as you split it I'd advise getting a moisture meter to know for sure if the wood is seasoned. Wood takes longer to dry when it's out of the elements. Yeah it dries but I'm sure you noticed when you walk into the barn how you're overcome and draped with fresh wood smell...well that's moisture trying to beat feet out of there...and having a hard time doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.