1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Seasoning firewood

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by lpp5855, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lpp5855

lpp5855 Member

Loc:
    North Jersey
    GREAT Info on this site. I have been visiting it for a couple of years and finally decided to become a member. My friends and I are definitely wood scroungers...if we find out that there is firewood to be had, we go and get it. We don't always know if it is for the taking though, in which case we end up "cuttin' paranoid"and worry that someone is going to show up and say we can't have it...no trespassing laws have been broken yet! Sometimes it is questionable though. Here are some pictures of the loot. Wood piles for 2009-10, 2010-11, and just started for 2012.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lpp5855

lpp5855 Member

Loc:
    North Jersey
    Is it because I am a "firestarter" that my picture does not appear next to my thread?
  3. fyrwoodguy

fyrwoodguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern central NH
    nice lookin' dry wood you got there....
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Click on "Your Control Panel" at the top of the page and add an "avatar" and that will be the pic that shows up by your name.
  5. lpp5855

lpp5855 Member

Loc:
    North Jersey
    Got it. Thanks moderator. And thanks fyrwood... its about 12 cords total.
  6. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
    Cuttin'

Nice stacking, I am envious of your neat and straight standing stacks. As I am always looking for tips and tricks for keeping my stack upright, any chance you could repost the pics with the image size a little larger? I am trying to see how you mixed the "cross stacking" in the rows.... thanks for sharing
  7. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Beautiful! I love pictures of firewood, and you got some real nice firewood there.
  8. bigtall

bigtall New Member

Loc:
    West Georgia
    That is real nice! It looks like you use a tape measure on every cut and split. Nice work indeed!
  9. lpp5855

lpp5855 Member

Loc:
    North Jersey
    Thanks for the compliments on the wood stacking. I take great pride in it.
    Madison - I have included some closer pictures of the "cross stacking" at the ends. The wood stacks easier if all the pieces are close to the same length. I have a 16" line scratched on the bar of my saw, so as I'm cutting I can use it as reference for the right length. Then while I'm splitting, I will throw my cross stacking pieces in a seperate pile. I use 5" to 8" diameter round pieces split once in half as, what I call my end pieces. Having the seperate pile makes it easier to locate these pieces when I start stacking. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

10. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
    cuttin'

thanks, perfect shots. i really appreciate the effort of the stacking as well.
  11. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Mine is bucked to 20 inches and my cribbed ends are usually "3 by" but sometimes "4 by" with smaller halves.

This is a pic of my uber heap, a hybrid of heap and stack. I had hoped for better results than regular heaps but was disappointed.

[​IMG]
  12. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Wow I am impressed with your mass of firewood!! Welcome to the forum too

Ray
  13. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    LOL at the cutting paranoid story. BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHA ...

...bet the crew is pretty fast too.
  14. lpp5855

lpp5855 Member

Loc:
    North Jersey
    Hey LLigetfa- That "uber heap" is AWESOME"! That is beautifully stacked on the outside. Please post the picture you use as your avatar. I would love to see that 12 cord woodshed that I think is in the background. Looks like you have a great system! Im considering a woodshed, so Id love to see what guys have out there.
  15. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Well, this is my avatar.
    [​IMG]

A pic from another angle.
    [​IMG]
  16. Jotulf3cb

Jotulf3cb New Member

Loc:
    Philly
    Where in Northern NJ are you located?
  17. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Great pics Cutting P . . . and welcome to hearth.com . . . glad to have you here to share.
  18. wingsfan

wingsfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Jackson,Mi.
    Nice stack of wood you have there.
  19. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Nice looking wood shelter! I like how neat the wood is stacked too.. Rustic beauty..

Ray
  20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

It's hard to understand if you are not sure who's wood it is, why would you take it.

Zap
  21. bambam

bambam Member

Loc:
    south/central Pa
    I'm guessing for the thrill of the chase or the adrenaline rush.
  22. varna

varna Member

Loc:
    SNJ
    Someday you might be "scrounging" or how I see it....stealing from someone that is very good with a sidearm. I know you wouldn't want to be caught getting wood off of properties around me. BTW, no houses for miles, but privately owned. Easy for folks to get lost and never be seen again.......:)

Oh Yeh, love the wood stack, pile pics
  23. Hiram Maxim

Hiram Maxim Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    Can you guys even have a sidearm in New Jersey? ;-P (Sorry couldn't resist)

+1 Really nice looking pile "oh" logs
  24. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    I was wondering the same thing ZAP. Why is everyone congratulating a person on a nice wood stack that does not ask permission to cut and take wood from unknown sources and are ignoring the fact that this person more than likely is stealing wood from private property? I understand if you are out and about and see wood not near someones house that its tempting to just stop and load up but just because its not in someones front yard does not mean its ok to not get permission and to just take it.That paranoid feeling you have while cutting is your guilty conscience trying(unsuccessfully) to tell you you are in the wrong. My road is very sparsely populated but I would pity the fool that got caught doing that around here. Same might happen to a dog that is found running deer. You might get the 3 S treatment.

How can you justify in your mind that you are not trespassing to get that wood if you don't own the land and have not asked the landowner? Amazing to me how a thief justifies his actions.

That wood you are "finding" just might be that landowners next years supply that he is counting on to heat his home and just has not gotten to yet and you are robbing him...no different than stealing his car or his kids bicycle.The way I see it you have about $3000.00 worth of stolen property there. You need to start asking permission and quit your woodburning thievery!

Can You tell I hate p.o.s. thieves and trespassers?

Do the right thing and change your name to Cutting with a clear conscience.
  25. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hmmm . . . I missed that fact as I was wowed by the pictures of the stacked wood.

Zap and others make a good point . . . it's usually a good idea to find out if the wood can be taken . . . I know I would be pretty ticked off if I found someone taking wood off my property without asking first.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.