Seasoning firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lpp5855

Nov 13, 2009
North Jersey
GREAT Info on this site. I have been visiting it for a couple of years and finally decided to become a member. My friends and I are definitely wood scroungers...if we find out that there is firewood to be had, we go and get it. We don't always know if it is for the taking though, in which case we end up "cuttin' paranoid"and worry that someone is going to show up and say we can't have it...no trespassing laws have been broken yet! Sometimes it is questionable though. Here are some pictures of the loot. Wood piles for 2009-10, 2010-11, and just started for 2012.

Attachments

• wood piles.jpg
    wood piles.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,122
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,107
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,123
Is it because I am a "firestarter" that my picture does not appear next to my thread?

Click on "Your Control Panel" at the top of the page and add an "avatar" and that will be the pic that shows up by your name.

Got it. Thanks moderator. And thanks fyrwood... its about 12 cords total.

Cuttin'

Nice stacking, I am envious of your neat and straight standing stacks. As I am always looking for tips and tricks for keeping my stack upright, any chance you could repost the pics with the image size a little larger? I am trying to see how you mixed the "cross stacking" in the rows.... thanks for sharing

Beautiful! I love pictures of firewood, and you got some real nice firewood there.

That is real nice! It looks like you use a tape measure on every cut and split. Nice work indeed!

Thanks for the compliments on the wood stacking. I take great pride in it.
Madison - I have included some closer pictures of the "cross stacking" at the ends. The wood stacks easier if all the pieces are close to the same length. I have a 16" line scratched on the bar of my saw, so as I'm cutting I can use it as reference for the right length. Then while I'm splitting, I will throw my cross stacking pieces in a seperate pile. I use 5" to 8" diameter round pieces split once in half as, what I call my end pieces. Having the seperate pile makes it easier to locate these pieces when I start stacking. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• cross stacks 002.jpg
    cross stacks 002.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 1,852
  • cross stacks 003.jpg
    cross stacks 003.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 1,847
Cuttin’ Paranoid said:
I use 5" to 8" diameter round pieces split once in half as, what I call my end pieces.
Mine is bucked to 20 inches and my cribbed ends are usually "3 by" but sometimes "4 by" with smaller halves.

This is a pic of my uber heap, a hybrid of heap and stack. I had hoped for better results than regular heaps but was disappointed.

100_0350.jpg

Cuttin’ Paranoid said:
GREAT Info on this site. I have been visiting it for a couple of years and finally decided to become a member. My friends and I are definitely wood scroungers...if we find out that there is firewood to be had, we go and get it. We don't always know if it is for the taking though, in which case we end up "cuttin' paranoid"and worry that someone is going to show up and say we can't have it...no trespassing laws have been broken yet! Sometimes it is questionable though. Here are some pictures of the loot. Wood piles for 2009-10, 2010-11, and just started for 2012.

Wow I am impressed with your mass of firewood!! Welcome to the forum too

Ray

LOL at the cutting paranoid story. BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHA ...

...bet the crew is pretty fast too.

Hey LLigetfa- That "uber heap" is AWESOME"! That is beautifully stacked on the outside. Please post the picture you use as your avatar. I would love to see that 12 cord woodshed that I think is in the background. Looks like you have a great system! Im considering a woodshed, so Id love to see what guys have out there.

Well, this is my avatar.
100_0181.jpg

A pic from another angle.
100_0360.jpg

Great pics Cutting P . . . and welcome to hearth.com . . . glad to have you here to share.

Nice stack of wood you have there.

Nice looking wood shelter! I like how neat the wood is stacked too.. Rustic beauty..

Ray

Cuttin’ Paranoid said:

It's hard to understand if you are not sure who's wood it is, why would you take it.

Zap

zapny said:
Cuttin’ Paranoid said:

It's hard to understand if you are not sure who's wood it is, why would you take it.

Zap

I'm guessing for the thrill of the chase or the adrenaline rush.

bambam said:
zapny said:
Cuttin’ Paranoid said:

Zap

Someday you might be "scrounging" or how I see it....stealing from someone that is very good with a sidearm. I know you wouldn't want to be caught getting wood off of properties around me. BTW, no houses for miles, but privately owned. Easy for folks to get lost and never be seen again.......:)

Oh Yeh, love the wood stack, pile pics

varna said:
bambam said:
zapny said:
Cuttin’ Paranoid said:

Zap

Someday you might be "scrounging" or how I see it....stealing from someone that is very good with a sidearm. I know you wouldn't want to be caught getting wood off of properties around me. BTW, no houses for miles, but privately owned. Easy for folks to get lost and never be seen again.......:)

Oh Yeh, love the wood stack, pile pics

Can you guys even have a sidearm in New Jersey? ;-P (Sorry couldn't resist)

+1 Really nice looking pile "oh" logs

I was wondering the same thing ZAP. Why is everyone congratulating a person on a nice wood stack that does not ask permission to cut and take wood from unknown sources and are ignoring the fact that this person more than likely is stealing wood from private property? I understand if you are out and about and see wood not near someones house that its tempting to just stop and load up but just because its not in someones front yard does not mean its ok to not get permission and to just take it.That paranoid feeling you have while cutting is your guilty conscience trying(unsuccessfully) to tell you you are in the wrong. My road is very sparsely populated but I would pity the fool that got caught doing that around here. Same might happen to a dog that is found running deer. You might get the 3 S treatment.

How can you justify in your mind that you are not trespassing to get that wood if you don't own the land and have not asked the landowner? Amazing to me how a thief justifies his actions.

That wood you are "finding" just might be that landowners next years supply that he is counting on to heat his home and just has not gotten to yet and you are robbing him...no different than stealing his car or his kids bicycle.The way I see it you have about $3000.00 worth of stolen property there. You need to start asking permission and quit your woodburning thievery!

Can You tell I hate p.o.s. thieves and trespassers?

Do the right thing and change your name to Cutting with a clear conscience.

zapny said:
Cuttin’ Paranoid said:

Zap

Hmmm . . . I missed that fact as I was wowed by the pictures of the stacked wood.

Zap and others make a good point . . . it's usually a good idea to find out if the wood can be taken . . . I know I would be pretty ticked off if I found someone taking wood off my property without asking first.

Status
Not open for further replies.