Seasoning list ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
I have seen lots of lists regarding the burning qualities of the different woods but what about the seasoning time lengths of different woods? I have grown to dislike the predominant oak in my area and would like to differentiate between wood based on its btu content as well as the length of time to properly season. LOL I want the best crap that will season properly within a single year. I have seen it mentioned cherry seasons fast as does locust? I think I have experienced maple seasoning within a year also. Is there a list somewhere?

I like silver maple and ash because it can be used pretty quick and oak, beech, hickory, hedge,malberry and apple all been stored for next year and the year after.....

Here you go.
Its at the bottom.
http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html
I am in Somerset County NJ. I stay away from oak as much as I can unless it falls in my yard.
I seek out Black Locust, Hickory, Sugar Maple, and white ash.

Chris, if you can get ash and/or cherry, that is about as quick seasoning of anything we've found. Also, do not assume all maple seasons slow. For example, soft maple will season very fast even though it has a lot of sap.

Here's one for the masses that I've always hesitated to post just because I did not want it to sound like I was being contrary, but soft maple will season well left in log form. We usually knock some soft maple down for the deer in the winter as they love the tips of the limbs. I can knock a tree down and then cut it up the following winter and could burn it then! However, we'd still wait until the following winter simply because of the way we do things here. Cut during winter; split during spring; stack after all splitting is done. Following fall is ready to burn unless it is oak or similar. Soft maple; no problem.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it and I now have a list in my wallet untill I remember them, when I am done splitting my pile of honey locust I am going to call a local landscaper to get dibs on their next load of these.

Locust
Hickory
Sugar Maple
white ash
cherry

Chris, Not to belabor the point but the locust I refer to and the list also refers to is Black Locust. I can't speak for honey. Never had it.

ChrisNJ said:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it and I now have a list in my wallet untill I remember them, when I am done splitting my pile of honey locust I am going to call a local landscaper to get dibs on their next load of these.

Locust
Hickory
Sugar Maple
white ash
cherry

I'm not sure your landscaper is going to be too happy with you giving him a shopping list for free wood. I find you will have a lot better luck if you take what they will give you.

wendell said:
ChrisNJ said:

Locust
Hickory
Sugar Maple
white ash
cherry

I'm not sure your landscaper is going to be too happy with you giving him a shopping list for free wood. I find you will have a lot better luck if you take what they will give you.
Ja, beggars can't be choosers but your landscaper could use a good laugh while he unloads the Locust at another guy's place.

gzecc said:
Here you go.
Its at the bottom.
I am in Somerset County NJ. I stay away from oak as much as I can unless it falls in my yard.

They also say:

There are people who insist that wood should be dried (seasoned) for at least one or two years. Experimental evidence has established that that is nearly always unnecessary, as long as the pieces of wood are cut to length and stacked. Natural airflows through the stack, and particularly through the cut cells of the pieces of wood themselves, dries them sooner than that. Experimental evidence has established that one-foot long cut pieces generally dry to acceptable levels in just two or three months. Two-foot long cut pieces take about six or seven months for similar acceptability. Four-foot long cut pieces DO require at least a year.

Associated with this, covering the woodpile with a tarp slightly improves this, but probably not enough to make the expense of a tarp worthwhile, except in a climate where rain and very high humidity is common. Similarly, split pieces of wood tend to dry slightly faster than full diameter logs, but again by minimal amounts.

There appears to be no value in drying firewood more than about nine months.

Gary :)

Gary_602z said:
gzecc said:
Here you go.
Its at the bottom.

They also say:

There are people who insist that wood should be dried (seasoned) for at least one or two years. Experimental evidence has established that that is nearly always unnecessary, as long as the pieces of wood are cut to length and stacked. Natural airflows through the stack, and particularly through the cut cells of the pieces of wood themselves, dries them sooner than that. Experimental evidence has established that one-foot long cut pieces generally dry to acceptable levels in just two or three months. Two-foot long cut pieces take about six or seven months for similar acceptability. Four-foot long cut pieces DO require at least a year.

Associated with this, covering the woodpile with a tarp slightly improves this, but probably not enough to make the expense of a tarp worthwhile, except in a climate where rain and very high humidity is common. Similarly, split pieces of wood tend to dry slightly faster than full diameter logs, but again by minimal amounts.

There appears to be no value in drying firewood more than about nine months.

Gary :)

WOW,
Kinda reminds me of the day I found out that 'Santa' wasn't real. :long:

Honey locust is also a very high quality wood add that to your landscapers list and make sure to tell him to stack all the different woods in their own piles ;-)
I would say if you are going to be selective you should be prepared to buy the wood you want.
I had a fellow give me about 10 or so trailer loads of wood this summer , I took everything he put out for me. Some was a little punky some was box elder some was so big I couldn't lift it ( and only authorized people can cut on the site) I asked a buddy to come help me. There was nothing for him to worry about getting rid of or cleanup and guess what he says he is going to clear another section next year and would I like the wood , HECK YEAH. Now one of the other caretakers is piling all the wood he clears for me as well.

I would love to hear what some of the senior members of this site say about only seasoning wood a few months. There are decades upon decades of experience here. I personally, have never heard, that it is useless to season firewood over 9 months. I'm not puttin any 2-3 month wood in my stove,,,maybe, just maybe a piece or two blended in with the good stuff. You have people here that have burned wood for half a century. Thats better then any experiment that I could think of. They have never said, yea, go ahead burn some 2/3 month wood.

Joey said:
I would love to hear what some of the senior members of this site say about only seasoning wood a few months. There are decades upon decades of experience here. I personally, have never heard, that it is useless to season firewood over 9 months. I'm not puttin any 2-3 month wood in my stove,,,maybe, just maybe a piece or two blended in with the good stuff. You have people here that have burned wood for half a century. Thats better then any experiment that I could think of. They have never said, yea, go ahead burn some 2/3 month wood.

But you read it on the internet so it must be true! :lol:

Gary

I am planning to pay for loads of rounds dumped in my driveway as I have done in the past, hence my desire to limit the types dumped. I am not sure anyone would deliver free wood but If I found that to be the case I would take anything. I like having the rounds dropped off for the occasional time I can get out and split it as I really enjoy the exercise.

Just a quick note. I agree that Black Locust is the best choice, I finally just got some, my first score from CL (I will have to post pictures, one of the biggest trees I have ever seen truck wise, must be 5 feet across). But an interesting relative is Sassafras. I put a post up on this recently. Sassafras is in the same family as locust and is extremely light, dry wood that I have found you can burn as soon as you cut it. It almost looks like Locust and feels about the same weight. It is not nearly as high on the BTU score, but it does burn hot and you can can burn it quick.

Joey said:
I agree with the tarp thing give or take, but as for the rest of it, they must be talking about some different kind of oak than what I grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.