Seasoning Pine Rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecowboyIV

Jun 22, 2010
Central VA
My neighbor has 9 pine trees that he wants taken down (bark beetles have started to kill them), he's asked if I would cut them and take the wood, but these are some twisted trees with branches about every foot so I know it's going to be a PITA to split, but I do want the wood. Would anyone here just split the largest of pieces that wouldn't fit in the stove and leave anything else in rounds to season. I wouldn't need the wood for the 2011-2012 season, but would probably burn it for 2012-2013.

Thanks for any input.

That's what I'd do. I doubt you'll have too much trouble splitting it though.

pen

I have pines cut down with rocks keeping them off the dirt, rounds in heaps and rounds in a stack.
Tend to cut and leave until the sap dries out before splitting.
Don't like splitting in the Summer unless its a cool day so they sit sometimes.

If someone comes asking for "free" wood I point at the piles of pine.

Depends upon the size of the round. Nothing wrong with splitting them and stacking them. Yes, the trimming is a bit tedious but if you need the wood....

Status
Not open for further replies.