seasoning pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
if i get fresh cut pine stacked by next week will it be ready for this nov?
This year will be my first burning pine ... usually hardwoods....
I dont wanna chimney fire!!

It won't be ideal, but I dried pine in a spring/summer, and it was dry (according to a moisture meter) except for the largest bits. Try to put it somewhere with plenty of wind/sun.

Your barely seasoned pine will create less creosote than barely seasoned hardwoods...

I split 2 cord in June and it was dry by November last year.

I'd think it would be if you set it where the sun and wind could get to it. Only time will tell though. We could end up with a really wet summer. *shrug*

Matt

I've had no problem seasoning pine over a single summer, at least when the top is covered.

Not ideal . . . but given 8 months I would try it . . . a lot would depend on the split size and location (i.e. sun and wind.)

I would just split them a little smaller than you normally would...make great shoulder season fires when you need a quick light up, but don't need the heat all day.

You can't burn pine are you crazy.... at least that is what everyone around here says. This is what my friend told me when we took down a large pine and he refused to burn the wood. He gave is truck load to his brother in law to burn in his outside unit. I told him once it is seasoned i will invite him over when i am burning it just to let him know they type of heat he gave away.

I agree with everyone else split it small and use it in the shoulder season or mix it in.

Davesbehemothwoodcart said:
I would just split them a little smaller than you normally would...make great shoulder season fires when you need a quick light up, but don't need the heat all day.

thats wht i am hoping for is shoulder season....... so i dont have to use the oak till december-jan-feb
i wanna try it as i can get it 50 a cord c/s/d

I think it will dry for this year .
We cut 18 50'+ pine trees last week . Most of the time i just dump the wood but things are muddy here now , so i have 3 truck/ trailer loads of wood to burn this year .
When i lived up state pine was the only wood we burned .
Pine is very easy to work with the trees cut easy the branches chip easy. The wood doesn't burn very long and there isnt much of a coal bed , but its lite and easy to split .
The big problem is the extra space to keep the wood at the house . last year we burnt 51/2 cord of oak + some framing scraps & pallets from jobs we built . I think i will need 3 extra cords for a total of 81/2 cord to heat next year .
What the best way to burn the pine, mix it with hard wood or burn only pine . ? John

Burn pine alone in the spring and fall, and in the winter when you are there to keep feeding it. Mix it with oak in the winter for overnight burns if it is warm enough. If it is extremely cold and windy, use just oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.