Seasoning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I throw my wood in the river (I live in a van) and 6 months later its dryer than a popcorn fart when I fish it out.

If it was my wood I would want it to be as dry as possible. Most of these wood vendors now-a-days dont have a clue what real dried wood is. I have plenty of "wood" on hand for the next couple of yrs but only around 3 cords or so is what I would consider dried for maximum burn and stove safety. This is a summer just like the one before ,2009 year in the northeast, that is rain and more rain. Poor drying summer. As many have mentioned on this site and common sense dictates, don't burn it if it aint dry.
Thats my view from here. With that said I would keep the rain off of it.

Bigg_Redd said:
I've got about 2 cord of green Doug Fir split and stacked in my back yard. Last night it rained lightly. Will the light rainfall stop my wood from seasoning? Or perhaps accelerate it?

I would discard that wood immeadiately. Rain is to wood stacks as hungry wolves are to a man wearing a meat poncho (yes I stole that from a commercial).

At this point that fir would be better suited for putting out the wildfires than heating your home.

In reality, rain has very little effect on seasoning time unless you are in the amazon.

madrone said:
Nothing stops Doug Fir.

It is God's firewood after all.

lukem said:
Bigg_Redd said:
I've got about 2 cord of green Doug Fir split and stacked in my back yard. Last night it rained lightly. Will the light rainfall stop my wood from seasoning? Or perhaps accelerate it?

I would discard that wood immeadiately. Rain is to wood stacks as hungry wolves are to a man wearing a meat poncho (yes I stole that from a commercial).

At this point that fir would be better suited for putting out the wildfires than heating your home.

In reality, rain has very little effect on seasoning time unless you are in the amazon.

Already done. It's floating in Oakland Bay even as I type.

Bigg_Redd said:
lukem said:

Already done. It's floating in Oakland Bay even as I type.
You drove all the way to NorCal to get rid of that wood? You should have just gone outside and burned it...or tried to. On second thought, you may have used as much gasoline trying to ignite that stuff as you used driving to CA.

Lucky you didn't get caught. It's illegal to throw Douglas Fir into Oakland Bay. Swamp Oak...OK.

My grandpappy always said that moisture on the wood draws out the moisture from inside and makes it dry faster. I have sprinklers in my stacks and water about the same as I water my lawn. I have tried watering more than that, but the slight increase in drying doesn't make up for the cost of the extra water.

Wood Duck said:
My grandpappy always said that moisture on the wood draws out the moisture from inside and makes it dry faster. I have sprinklers in my stacks and water about the same as I water my lawn. I have tried watering more than that, but the slight increase in drying doesn't make up for the cost of the extra water.

Hmmm. I guess that might work. I think I'll start adding a gallon of water to the dryer so the clothes will dry faster.

Wood Duck said:

My daddy used to use a pressure washer to dry his wood. The more water and the higher the pressure, the faster the wood would dry. It worked so well you could actually see the water spraying out of the wood in all directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.