1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Seasoning shed

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by weatherguy, Aug 15, 2013.

1. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Hmmm...seems a little shady to me==c.

I really can't see how this is any better than any other shed. Moisture will still get trapped as humidity inside it.
  3. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    My thoughts exactly, thought I might be missing something.
  4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    1 heavy wet snow storm and that thing would collapse.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Buy it.
    You'll be missing $239.99.
    Wet wood won't season in there, unless you roll up the sides and end flaps.
    Wait, it says "cross ventilation aids the drying process".Maybe, but the ventilation better be good.
    Hmmm, I could buy 1.5 cord for that, c/s/d. I'll take the wood and dry it in the sun and wind.
    NortheastAl and ScotO like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    They can work but calling them a seasoning shed is plain old baloney. Dry the wood outside then move it inside is okay but you dare not put green wood in there. Of course you could roll up the sides. I will state that we've seen several of those in our area and none has held up more than 3 years. One fear I would have for sure is that wood can be very abrasive and those walls might not like that.

Methinks a better plan is to buy one of those steel carports. You could get one 12' wide or 20' wide. For firewood I'd think 6' sides would work nicely. fwiw, a neighbor and I discussed this a few years back and he ended up with the carport but his is tall enough so that he can drive his tractor right inside of it. I had planned on one with 6' sides but ended up with a barn instead. We may still put up a carport sometime in the future and when we do, I will use firewood for the walls, probably going 2 or 3 rows wide all way around except for where you want to place a vehicle, be that a tractor, truck or car.
    NortheastAl and ScotO like this.