Seasoning time for Hickory and Sugar Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do but it really would not look good. My property is 75 by 250 and basicly all grass but I really keep up with it. I have about 4 or 5 cords stacked against my neighbors fence that seperates our properties. It works fine.

tumm21 said:
I do but it really would not look good. My property is 75 by 250 and basicly all grass but I really keep up with it. I have about 4 or 5 cords stacked against my neighbors fence that seperates our properties. It works fine.

It sounded like you may not be able to get 4 0r 5 cord. Thats a GOOD amount of wood. You will be fine. In time you (We) will get better at judging the stove and wood.. The year will be a learning curve for many people with there 1 st Woodburning device. Good luck nd sounds like your doing a great job already.

tumm21 said:

Funny how your own wood stacks look beautiful but the neighbor's stacks can look like they belong to the hillbillies from Hell. I was driving around my daughter's neighborhood last fall and there is one place that has about 15-20 cord or more stacked 5-6' high all around his property. It was done neatly and it was really pretty impressive to see, but to be honest, aesthetically it looked like dog doo-doo. Maybe out in the country where I live, but I'd be a little more considerate of my neighbors before I erected such a monument to wood heating on a city lot.

BTW save that hickory bark. There's a lot of heat in hickory bark. It makes fantastic kindling, way better than twigs and small round sticks lots of folks save up.

I got some hickory cut this last March.. it was cut and stacked that day.
I will burn it this year and see how it goes. I have plenty to use before I get
to the hickory so it will be in the dead of winter before I know.

From the looks of it it will be fine.
I love the smell of it seasoning in this 90+ weather.

Well its been about 100 degrees here for about a week and the bark is starting to seperate. Lots of cracks in the wood too. I think I will be ok for october or november

tumm21 said:
Well its been about 100 degrees here for about a week and the bark is starting to seperate. Lots of cracks in the wood too. I think I will be ok for october or november

I think so too

Battenkiller said:
tumm21 said:

BTW save that hickory bark. There's a lot of heat in hickory bark. It makes fantastic kindling, way better than twigs and small round sticks lots of folks save up.

Hickory bark is the best stuff for use in a smoker or charcoal grill too. A little goes a long way. Don't throw it away.

lukem said:
Battenkiller said:
tumm21 said:

Hickory bark is the best stuff for use in a smoker or charcoal grill too. A little goes a long way. Don't throw it away.

I run 100 percent wood 100 percent of the time. Only difference is what percent apple vs hickory. (that's a trade secret) ;-)

tumm21 said:
Would you say its about seasoned by then or not even close. Also what should I use. I have plenty of black tarps from my swimming pool cover.
I was also thinking I was going to split and replenish my wood pile as I use it during the fall and winter. Maybe this will give it more seasoning time.

Any old waterproof tarp will work fine, and the sooner, the better. You can fold it so it's a foot or so wider than a stack, then put some large twigs or 2x scraps on top of a pile, sticking out maybe 6" and lay the tarp on them. Couple 2x or such on top of the tarp, and you're in business.

'Round here, when the rains come again in Sep/Oct, an uncovered stack would be a bad idea. Not a religious thing, in that it matters not what I believe.

I have no idea what you mean by "seasoned." Dry enough to burn, likely. Do what you can, and don't obsess.

Status
Not open for further replies.