Seasoning time for Rounds of Aspen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
I just got some 4" rounds (Each about 18" long) of freshly cut aspen. I am assuming a year is ample time but am not sure because wood I usually burn is delivered split.

Don't want to use it before it is seasoned and can certainly store it for a winter or two...

Thanks

Ja, a year should do it. I'd split them in half. Small Aspen has a really waxy bark.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, a year should do it. I'd split them in half. Small Aspen has a really waxy bark.

Yes, it has a waxy bark. Feels wonderful. So, I am assuming that keeps moisture in longer?

Will have to see if I can get one of my sons to split it for me but they are at the age where the usual response is, 'I,ll do it later' which translates to never....I have given up reminding here....gets me labeled a 'nag'....I just end up using their line on them when they ask me to do something for them.....ooops ;-)

Fresh cut it has a lot of sap but this stuff drys super fast. It will be great for next fall.

it naturally has a very high moisture content in and needs split right away ,i have found if its left in log form it retains moisture for a very long time ,once dry it burns up fast and is light ,definitly not an ideal firewood for the cold months but im biased becuase i cant stand the stuff

lexybird said:
definitly not an ideal firewood for the cold months but im biased becuase i cant stand the stuff
I too hate the stuff because of the fluffy ash it produces. If I drop an Aspen in my yard and have to clean it up, I will process it as firewood but in the bush I will just leave it on the forest floor to rot. It is good though for fire starter... lights easy and burns hot and fast. Good also to lay on top of a large coal bed to burn down the coals to make room.

Status
Not open for further replies.