Seasoning white oak in the round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatbedford said:
That just sucks! I have 9 or so cords on my suburban 1/4 acre. Thankfully, I have excellent neighbors. Non of them are real wood burners. One burns outside, but I give him plenty of junk wood and he knows my pile is for heating, not for play. The others know that they would only have to ask if they needed wood in an emergency.

Sad part is I've given them plenty of firepit wood in the past but never gave them permission to help themselfs. I also made it very clear the difference between stove wood and firepit wood. If they'd have asked I'd given them more, instead they just decided to sneak over one night, grab several wheel barrow loads and never said a word until I put up a light a couple weeks later.

firefighterjake said:
he just bought a wood-fired pizza oven that he plans to make pizzas out of for local fairs, such as the Commonground Fair in a couple of weeks.

I would love more info on the wood-fired pizza oven- is it an outdoor style or for indoors? I want to have one in the outdoor kitchen area I plan on doing next year. I've have the book on building the wood fired brick oven from scratch, but would sure like a better starting point.

My German Shepard loves thieving neighbors!

I'd find a bunch of "sappy wood" and place that on the ends. That way it takes twice as long to wash the sap off as it did to steal your heat. Good Luck.

3fordasho said:
firefighterjake said:
he just bought a wood-fired pizza oven that he plans to make pizzas out of for local fairs, such as the Commonground Fair in a couple of weeks.

I would love more info on the wood-fired pizza oven- is it an outdoor style or for indoors? I want to have one in the outdoor kitchen area I plan on doing next year. I've have the book on building the wood fired brick oven from scratch, but would sure like a better starting point.

I don't really know all that much about their oven . . . haven't seen it in person since they bought the oven this past year . . . and the reason for me letting them borrow the splitter was the guy's firewood was too large for the oven . . . I get the sense that it is an outdoor style that is mobile . . . like a food booth you see at state fairs.

Very surprised your city has a night light ordnance but has nothing governing open fires is residential areas.

savageactor7 said:
Very surprised your city has a night light ordnance but has nothing governing open fires is residential areas.

They (the city) generally don't go there unless someone complains. I'm sure If I complained about the neighbors smokey outdoor fires they would get a letter or visit from the local authorities. Also for their loud music, loose dog, pot smoking, loud and obnoxious behavior when drinking... the list goes on. They also don't like all the flourescent jar lights I had installed before they even moved into the neighborhood. If they could have pitch black they would. I'm probably the best lit property in the area and no one else has complained in 24 years... It paid off recently too as there were 15 car and gargage break ins one stormy night all around us, but we
were not hit.

The funny thing about the light in question is it didn't shine at all on their house (light shining thru a window might be bad for sleeping), and did not shine on 90% of their deck/party area. It did catch about 1/2 of the firepit area. To top it all off, their entire
deck/party/firepit area is in direct view of a city street light... I guess they can't harass the city into getting rid of that.

Pot smokers that is easy to take care of if you want to go there, you smell it ya just call the cops, it sucks to be that way but it sound like they started it. :lol:

oldspark said:
Pot smokers that is easy to take care of if you want to go there, you smell it ya just call the cops, it sucks to be that way but it sound like they started it. :lol:

Yep, I hear you. Thing is I don't want to get into a huge pissing match with them (at least not more of one) with the cops in the middle. I call about any one of their many "bad" behaviors and then they turn around and call when I run the chainsaw/splitter, etc.
or groan about the wood I have stacked along the quarry's fence or complain about wood smoke smell from either wood stove. The list goes on. It's not that I'm doing anything wrong or illegal, but the fact is that if someone complains enough about an activity, the locals will find a way to make it stop. Found that out with Minnesota legal fireworks.. Just because they are legal does not mean you have the right to light them off if it bothers a neighbor or even her dogs.

Ditto on that 'Northern guys' have it made. Termites would get after in Kansas City, but for you, if you have it off the ground, your'e good.

KennyG said:
Ditto on that 'Northern guys' have it made. Termites would get after in Kansas City, but for you, if you have it off the ground, your'e good.

Sounds like a viable plan for "passive" theft protection. The durn wood is just too much work for the lazy lowlifes to carry off to their firepit. Course they'll prolly sue me after they drop one on their foot.

So here is what I ending up doing:
DSC03044.jpg

the biggest full round is 12" diameter, any thing bigger was split in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.