Seasoning wood near salt water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akon

Dec 1, 2016
Maine
Is it a bad idea to stack wood on a ledge 10-20 ft above a salt river? It gets very consistent breeze, but should I be concerned with salt getting deposited on the wood when it is that close? I normally stack all my wood on the other side of my house far from the river, but it doesn't get that consistent air flow.

I'd avoid it. Salt spray can travel quite a height and distance in strong winds, especially if there is spray from white capped waves blowing toward the wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akon
I think I'd favor the salt-free side if it were me. Having lived next to the ocean for a couple of years, I can tell you there is nothing good about salt except on potatoes. Certainly not in your stove. Sounds like the house is an adequate buffer from the river though.

Reactions: Akon
Are you concerned for corrosion issues with the salt on your firewood?
Yes, that is the concern. I have a couple trees to bring down on that side and was considering just leaving it there stacked for a year, but I will just move it now. Thanks all.

rain will wash any salt spray off

Id rather not have sodium chloride in my stove and chimney

There was a time when lumber was saturated with salt water to make it noncombustible or fire-retardant.

Status
Not open for further replies.