Seasoning wood on pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
I did a search, but didn't find anything on this.

I currently have 10 pallets of mixed hardwoods (ash, cherry, apple, birch, maple) that were stacked throughout the spring, summer, and fall of 2010. The wood is not stacked in rows, but rather stacked square to a point on top kind of like a pyramid. Average about 3 1/2 - 4 feet high (Still honing my stacking skills.)

Anyway, my questions are: Should I restack in rows? That was my first thought, but seems like a lot of work. Will the wood in the middle of the pallet season effectively for 2011/12? Some of it may not be needed until 12/13 as I am in the 1+ cord per year range. The wood I can see looks pretty good and will definitely be ready for fall, but I am concerned about the center wood. Any new splits will be stacked in single rows from now on.

Also, I had my wood covered for the winter and just today I took all the tarps off, except for wood I may still use this season. I figure with the warmer weather on its way it will help in the seasoning process if its uncovered.

I like your chances! if I run out can I borrow some of yours! lol should be some of the best wood in 50 miles!

Got a pic of this pyramid stack?

smokinjay, I think I'm missing something here.

C:Documents and SettingsHP_AdministratorMy DocumentsMy PicturesAdobeDigital Camera Photos0-09-01-1829-27IMG_0042.JPG

Here is the only picture I have and doesn't really show what I mean. Maybe pyramid wasn't the best word to describe the stacks, but picture square stacks with a a bunch of small stuff on top.

Edit: Sorry, that picture didn't work. Will try again.

Okay, here it is. Maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 634
Jaugust124 said:
smokinjay, I think I'm missing something here.

Just Thinking you have a pretty good handle on seasoning wood...If I ever run out you wood, You would be on my top ten list! Now that may not be a good thing there..lol Running low.

Smokinjay,
Thanks. I take that as quite the compliment coming from a man of your stature here on this website.

I wasn't quite sure how to take your original message, with these darn computers it sometimes leaves room for speculation.
Thanks again for clearing things up.
Jamie

I can't quite make it out from the pic, but looks like you group 4 palettes together as a stack? If so I'd expect it to dry somewhat slower than a single stack, but you're still looking good with those wood types. IF the Maple is hard Maple I'd give it 18 months if possible to ensure the inside is dry. Everything else (including Soft Maple) should be primo by fall.

When it's stacked criss-cross there's a lot of air flowing through. If so, I don't think you'll have any problem but if you only burn a cord+ a year, it wouldn't be that much work to just take a couple of cords and single-row stack it for the summer. By the following year the main stack will have about 2 years drying time, and for sure you'll be fine. Looks to be several cords there...

That picture was taken on September 1st. During the Fall I added at least three more pallets. With that plus what I had already under the deck I think I measured a little over 5 cords, rough estimating.

Woody Stover, I like your idea, a little at a time. I have all summer, so I could do it, but if I don't have to I can spend that time scrounging some more.

Thanks for the replies.

They look like they'll dry fine to me. People get into trouble thinking some way of stacking is going to shorten their drying time. Unless you throw it in a pile on the ground and cover it with a tarp, it will be dry if you give it the time it needs regardless of how it's stacked.

Is the idea of the pallets to move them around with a tractor or just to keep it off the ground? If you have the equipment I'd keep stacking on pallets to save the work. Even if you're moving by hand, leave the pallets alone, you're better off getting more wood to be farther ahead.

From the pic, it looks like there is at least some open space for air to circulate. So it may work out for you. In general, this stacking approach has another problem in addition to limited air circulation...and that is the oldest wood, which you probably want to burn first, is likely to be towards the middle where you can't easily get to it.

I learned here on hearth.com to place pallets in rows and then stack 2 rows of splits on the pallets. Rows of pallets should have at least 2' between them. I didn't put 2' between a couple of mine due to a space constraint and I can tell the difference in the seasoning time (takes longer). Nothing is covered except in winter.

Shari said:
I learned here on hearth.com to place pallets in rows and then stack 2 rows of splits on the pallets. Rows of pallets should have at least 2' between them. I didn't put 2' between a couple of mine due to a space constraint and I can tell the difference in the seasoning time (takes longer). Nothing is covered except in winter.

+1 - I stack on pallets, but leave enough room between pallets to walk through the stacks. Winds moves through nicely. Cheers!

benjamin,
I'm on a suburban 1/2 acre, no tractors around here except the Sears Craftsman riding mower. I'm using pallets because they are free and easy to get from Lowe's.

Like the idea of leaving room between the pallets. I tend to push them together to help support the stacks when they start to lean into each other. I cut to various lengths, so I end up with stacks that have long pieces on the bottom and I save the shorts for the top of the stacks. Only had one stack topple part way over during the winter.

I'll try to post another pic of my current supply.

JAugust,

Stacks won't fall over if you arrange your pallets like this:

P1010026.jpg

Stacked as above, the uprights are either 4' or 8' apart depending on space available. I prefer 8' then in winter I just place 2x4's, 8' long on top and hike up a couple of pallets on top with a tarp on top to keep the snow off. Having the pallets on top means I don't have to dink around lifting tarps. I leave about a 2' drop on the sides with a stringer of electrical conduit tied in and use the conduit as a tarp lift - just toss it on top when retrieving wood and drop it back down when done - keeps the snow/sleet/ice off whatever is my draw pile.

(Yeah, pic has been posted before...)

woodpile_covered1a.jpg

Shari, Nice stacks.
Here are a few pics of what's left of my stacks and a few shots of my latest scrounges.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 254
Here's a few more.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 229