seasoning wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I have about 1.5 cords of wood I have limited space to stack wood. I would like to get more wood but don't have the room unless I stack the wood tight. How much longer will it take to season wood if I make the rows right next to each other instead of spacing them apart?
If I make the rows next to each other I will gain some more room.

no man said:
I have about 1.5 cords of wood I have limited space to stack wood. I would like to get more wood but don't have the room unless I stack the wood tight. How much longer will it take to season wood if I make the rows right next to each other instead of spacing them apart?
If I make the rows next to each other I will gain some more room.

Do it and pray for heat and wind.

Could send it to Washington DC, there's plenty of both there.

Yeah pack it close together if that's your only option, you have to work with what you have. It'll take a little longer to season but it will season and splitting in into smaller that usual pieces will help the process along too.

I have over 20 cords of wood stacked and it is all stacked close together. I've always stacked that way and never had a problem. However, most of our wood is stacked over a year before we burn it. Yet, for the next several years we will probably burn a lot of white ash which will be seasoned only over the summer before burning. But there is not much moisture in ash to start with either.

If room is the problem, just stack it close and stack it as high as you can reach without using a ladder. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.