"Seasoning" wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
This may be premature as I just had some info on a too good to be true deal for triax load of wood. But, if the info is correct I'll be buying at least 2 loads right away to get a jump start on next year's wood. If the purchased wood is green and if I don't get around to cutting and storing some of it....and it is left uncovered to the elements until next autumn(09) will the moisture content be low enough to be considered usable for good efficiency in a gasifier next year? I'm hoping to leave a lot of it just sit and then be able to cut and use right away in winter of 09-10.

My rule of thumb with any wood is to get it cut, split and stacked asap. You don't need to cover it until around September or October, preferably right after a nice dry spell. Wood in log form dries a lot more slowly than split, stacked wood. Any wood you cut this summer will be just about perfect next fall. Any wood you wait until next year to cut, probably won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.