Seasons and supplies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillLion

Minister of Fire
Sep 4, 2013
Greater Hartford, CT
Quick questions:

1. When on average do you normally stop burning?
2. Do you have enough wood to get you to that time this year?

So for me:

1. Sometime in April I think
2. I may squeak by with just enough because I just want out a couple days ago and bought some Eco Bricks to stretch my supply.

1. When I'm no longer cold in the house.
2. Always ...heck ... I've enough wood in the shed every winter for two plus winters ... just in case Maine gets covered by a wayward glacier. :)

Good for you on the wood!

Part of my motivation in asking is to see if I'll have enough wood to get thru. This is the end of my 3rd year burning and I think I usually stop in April. Either way, I should
Get close enough.

1. When it gets above 40-45 I will go back on geothermal
2. I have more wood then I could burn if I burnt year around.

Reactions: BillLion
Till my room is warm where wood heat is not needed, could be 60 outside an 60 inside, I'm still burning, alittle....

Lucky me found one nice scrounges last year, so I'm good for the next 2-3 years but I gotta get on it for years 3-4.....

Got to maintain the 3 year plan.....

My shoulder season is when I'm burning inside in the insert and outside on the outdoor fireplace at the same time......

1. Probably sometime in late April or early May.
2. About 7 cords c/s/s. Not all seasoned but enough in the 20% moisture range to keep me going for a while.

Definitely need to get more in the wood stack this year. I need around 9 cords to be officially three years ahead.

I have the coffee table and the end tables in the stove room as backup. So good till maybe three weeks from now.

Surprise snow storm and power outage and Granny's head and foot boards are in danger.

1) Stop date is around Memorial Day. Last frost date. sporadic burning on cold nights. Start date is Columbus Day weekend.
2) 5 cords total, 3 1/2 -4 burned so far.
I have 1cord of my lighter woods left and Im burning next years oak.

Early May. By then I'm only burning in the mornings or evens to take the edge off. I will not have enough this year. It depends on how I feel. I have 4 cords stacked and ready to go but I have to decide if I want to use it.

Only our third season burning in the new house. At this time we are only burning in the morning then again at night to take the chill out. The house holds the heat all day so no need to burn 24/7. Last year we only had a few days in April that we burned.

As far as wood goes it looks like we have just about 2 cord left still. So I would think we will have at least 1 left over to start next season. :)

I have the coffee table and the end tables in the stove room as backup. So good till maybe three weeks from now.

Surprise snow storm and power outage and Granny's head and foot boards are in danger.
Poor Granny....off with her head._g

1. Late April or early May.
2. Yes, but I need to catch up on cutting more later this spring for the coming years.

Quick questions:

1. When on average do you normally stop burning?
2. Do you have enough wood to get you to that time this year?

So for me:

1. Sometime in April I think
2. I may squeak by with just enough because I just want out a couple days ago and bought some Eco Bricks to stretch my supply.

1. Early May.
2. Yes. We have enough wood to run probably until May of 2018 or more.

On that second question, it is not enough to have just enough to run through this year. Next year's wood should have already been put up and stacked for drying. Those who go only year to year are the ones who have problems. Time to think strongly about the 3 year plan.

This is my second year burning. Last year we started burning in November, and finished in early May.

This year it started in early October, and God knows when the cold will stop.... I`ve officially gone through 5 cords of wood, and now I`m going through next winter`s pile (2014-15). I do have another pile for the winter after the next one (2015-16). But by burning into next year`s pile, I`ll have to replenish it. I don`t have an infinite amount of wood on my lot, so I will have to come up with a strategy to either find more wood, or not burn during the shoulder season.

I know that feeling this year....it has been very cold compared to normal.

I normally start in October and run through March. October and March are normally burn as needed (fire in the morning/evening to knock the chill off, perhaps an overnight burn if the wife is cold)

I was cutting year to year until getting on hearth.com. I will finish constructing my second woodshed this weekend. All told, I have 11 cord of covered wood storage (and have already c/s/s 3.5 cord). I normally burn 4 cord, but hoping that when I trade in the old smoke dragon that number goes down. My goal is to get my wood usage down to 3.5 cord/year, which would give me 3 years of wood storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.