Second Elm Online

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Been a week now since I put a fire in er. And I sure have learned alot. 1st off, the only difference between the basement stove and this one is 6" in barrel length. Basement stove (30") is on a 6" Class A 35'+6' of stove pipe and 24" is on a 35' air cooled 8" (for now) with 2' of stove pipe. The basement stove takes nearly a full hr from light off to cruising temp. The 24" is a mere 30mins or less and that's if I'm careful and capture it before it goes nuclear. The 30" has always had unusually cool stove pipe temps, the 24" is exact opposite. Very hard to keep those temps below 500. Again I have to watch the first few minutes closely and close off the primary early. Still later in the burn cycle they can climb to 600+. Both stoves are operated daily with dampers fully closed at all times and primary full shut on the 24" at all times. I have been using the 24" with kid gloves only loading a few small splits at a time to help keep temps down.
What I'm taking from all this is a stoves environment means everything to how it performs. The room this stove sits in has an 18' ceiling. It is still doing a very nice job heating the first floor and the second floor.

Been a week now since I put a fire in er. And I sure have learned alot. 1st off, the only difference between the basement stove and this one is 6" in barrel length. Basement stove (30") is on a 6" Class A 35'+6' of stove pipe and 24" is on a 35' air cooled 8" (for now) with 2' of stove pipe. The basement stove takes nearly a full hr from light off to cruising temp.

That pipe is not rated for the temps this stove is producing, nor is the hearth. Slow down a bit and get things right before proceeding. Are you running the stove into a ZC fireplace?

I am still working on how is it 35' from the basement to the roof and also 35' from the first floor to the roof. The rest of the concerns are the same as BG's. But Bill I have learned that you and stoves are an interesting combination. >> And single wall pipe at the top of either one is just dumb.

You are an A&P. You know there are rules for this stuff for a reason.

The basement chimney starts at the floor line and the 1st floor chimney starts about 2' about that same floor line but extends higher above the chimney cap. They are both effectively 35' runs minus stove pipe. The air insulated run is a 1700 degree pipe. 400 degrees isn't really much difference IMO. However I do plan on sending a 6" wrapped down it but didn't want soak a mint into it before I was happy this is the rout to go. This unit won't be operated 24/7 like the basement unit so I can keep an eye on it.
There have been threads on putting inserts into a ZC. I know there are approved units for my ZC. However that I will not do that. The only questionable part I see is the chimney pipe. In fact there is one right now about air cooled vs class A.

The big diff is that the Class A is 1000 degrees rated continuous and the tin pipe isn't. Sure it probably won't burn the joint down. Soon. But hopefully at least you left it open at the bottom to pull cooling air between the layers. Because you probably don't have a clue how close to framing members that pipe is installed. Because it didn't have to have as much clearance since it was venting a fireplace and had cooling air cooling the pipe bottom to top.

BB I built this place. The chase is large enough you can literally walk around in it. The ZC has 4' on both sides and 2' on the back. The chase is 8' wide. I installed the stove pipe right into the fireplace outlet. Only thing that was done was to remove the FP damper. The pipe should function exactly as it did before.

If it OK with Steve, it is OK with me. He obviously says it is an approved install and clearances including floor protection. Right?.It's his lawyer bill. Not mine.

Oh no siree. Steve does not bless any installs, nor would you or me. What you do with an Elm is all on the purchaser. I would imagine thats the case with any stove mfg. They couldn't possibly be liable for the install. It really boils down to what the installer feels comfortable with. I read on here all the time people talking about a few inches on a hearth being the difference between go and no go or a few inches from structure on the chimney pipe. Get real! Some of these approved installs would scare me more than what you are reading about right now.

Not quite so. You have the distinct honor of reporting the hottest hearth temp that I can remember in the past 6 years. And that is with "a few small splits". The fact that this illegal installation is burning "daily" says enough right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.