Second life hearth presence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Yes folks, Hearth products have found their way into the virtual world. I"ve joined a hearth products related group in Second Life called Green Heat and spoke to the owner last night. One of the things kicked around here before is the possibility of a Chat room or IRC channel where folks could hang out, and I that's a mixed bag since it doesn't leave history and forums keep the banter to a minimum as they are moderated. On the other hand, chat rooms and IRC do have their place.

I wanted to see if a single test event in Second life would get any interest?

The event would be simple. Determine where to meet for a chat, and set up a group or just use local open discussion. There would be a couple seed topics like: Welcome and introductions, New Season start discussion, Possibly a guest of interest, perhaps someone like Elk who could describe code or his VC trip last year, possibly a Hearth industry rep like Corie (i'm not volunteering anyone here, just examples), then a closing. I envision this to be a 1/2 hour to an hour event.

We could have a rip roaring fire going in world that even the BI folks couldn't complain about. :)

What does anyone think?

My wife is OBSSESED with that game! She has a big house and land, party at my wifes house!

Agreed... This is enough of an addiction. I don't need to (get a) Second Life, or get into World of WarCRACK (as one of my friends in recovery calls it) etc. Those that do are welcome to it, but I'm not interested.

Gooserider

well, judging from the replies, I'm way ahead of the curve on this one.

Hello everyone!

My first post, and my first visit to Hearth.com in LONG TIME!!!

I would like to thank Warren for bring up Green Heat here.

I got on to second life as an escape and one of the first things I did is look for hearth groups................I couldn't find any so I started one, Green Heat.

I was concerned that others felt like me, "I am home, leave work at work".....That is one of the big reasons I have not visited or posted here on Hearth.com.....

My intent for now is to find as many hearth folks on Second Life as I can, then, maybe, with enough people we could do something more.

I think second life is a growing opportunity for many business included the hearth industry, just like the internet was back when. A few forward thinking people, like Craig, and a small handfull of hearth manufacturers saw this opportunity with the internet. Now look at Hearth.com!!!! and all mfg's are on the net now too!!!

When I say opportunities I don't just mean $$$$$$$. I am mainly thinking of it as another avenue to reach people with information, just like the net does.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and Warren's post. If you are ever on second life look us up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.