Second maul broke too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
What am I doing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or is this the nature of the beast. Second maul just broke! :ahhh: The head came off the handle and the fiberglass core is split. This thing was epoxied in! Does anyone make a 6 pound, maul that will last for more then two pickup trucks worth of elm? Do I really need to buy a $100 tool to get some quality and longevity? I am thinking a Gransfors Bruk at this time. I will save a bunch if they really do last like I've been told. Can you get spare handles for them?

Anybody have an opinion?

Wow, even after hitting my wedge a couple times with the handle, my $15 True Temper maul is still together and working well. I personally prefer wooden handles. My old axe had a fiberglass handle which broke similarly to yours I guess. I replaced the handle with a wooden one and haven't had a problem since. But then again, I used and abused the heck out of that old axe.

Buy a maul with a lifetime handle warranty. That way when it does break you can get it replaced for next to nothing. I spend about $25 on my last maul with a fiberglass handle.

I paid about $30 dollars for this last one. I don't have the receipt or it would go back! I don't know if I want to try to re-handle it, or just buy a quality product. I didn't abuse this either, When I swing I really put my gut in it, if you catch my drift, but I don't think I ever missed and hit the handle, but maybe once. I wonder if splitting elm is just that hard on the tools? Or maybe I just have a knack for picking the lemon tools off the rack. :)

Pick up a new handle, wood if you like, and get back to work.

Check the grain on wood handles to make sure that it is straight grained with no run out.

Hit the wood with the metal part at the end of the stick, not the stick. :red:

J.P.

Yeah, buy a maul with a wooden handle;I find they last longer and just feel better than any 'glassplasticcomposite handles i've seen.Or pick up one of those"Monster Mauls"with the steel pipe handle.

SmokinJoe said:
Pick up a new handle, wood if you like, and get back to work.

Check the grain on wood handles to make sure that it is straight grained with no run out.

Hit the wood with the metal part at the end of the stick, not the stick. :red:

J.P.

I haven't been whacking away at the handle. I haven't hit the handle but maybe once, and that was when the head hit the split on the far edge of the split and the handle got some of the splitting action. I will see if I can locate a new handle, but I still think that a quality splitting tool should hold up better then this. How do you go about getting the epoxy out of the head? I have thought about a Fiskers, but it is only 4 1/2 pounds and has a 28 inch handle. Splitting 14-18" Elm rounds I don't know if that will cut the mustard so to speak. I need to stay around the 6 pound range, the 8 pound maul was to heavy for me. I didn't have the accuracy I have with the 6 pound tool.

Drill out most of the remaining handle with a 1/2" drill bit, or whatever large size twist drill you have on hand.

Then use a small block of wood, approximately the shape of the eye on the maul, to drive the remaining material out of the eye.

Make sure to get a handle that is shaped to fit the type of eye you have on the maul.

I use a 6 lb. maul and a couple of wedges. I just don't see how some folks can swing an 8 lb. maul all day and still walk the day after.

J.P.

Get a 6lb maul from Sears, lifetime guarantee. I went three single bit axes and gave up but they replaced every one no questions asked. Figure the replacement cost is built into the initial cost.

I just split alot of elm last summer I have a monster maul the head is welded on, I know they make an 8# version. I also have a cheapo 8# fiberglass handle and it broke while splitting elm. It really is just to hard of wood for some of they cheaper mauls. You might want to get a sledge and wedge to get things started.

If you have a wooden handle that only holds up to two pickup loads, either

1)the handle is loose in the head
2)you (or someone else who borrowed yer tool) missed more often than you realize, or
3)the handle is probably ash.

Replace the handle with a HICKORY handle that is the correct size for the head.

BTW . . . a 6# maul??? Hell, the handle weighs more than the head! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.