Second Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TriMom

Jan 29, 2013
We are excited to be getting a second pellet stove. When Scott Willamson of Pellet Stove Service was here installing the Enviro we talked about a second stove. Scott had a client wanting to sell his 2-3 year old little used Harman Accentra insert and got us a sweet deal about half what we would pay for new stove with venting. He is installing it Saturday.

We hope between the Enviro Empress on one side of the house (see purple heart on right) and Accentra (purple heart left side) on the other side of the house, we can heat mostly with pellets instead of oil. Even more so now that our oil furnace seems to be on it's last legs. We do have a second floor and finished basement. In basement we will have a Jotul Oslo in a different flue in same chimney as the Accentra insert.

Any hints of where to try and put fans to circulate air, would be appreciated.

get-photo.asp

Getting our building permit and chimney cleaning tomorrow

I've learned so much from this website and the forum...thank you!

Yep.... Pics are a must ;)

2 pellet stoves and a Wood stove? Sounds like someone I know ;)

Although, I don't really use the 2 pellet stoves together. One or the other is enough.

I'm sure you'll find yourself running the stoves on a lower setting if they are both running. Especially if you have some residual heat coming from downstairs. :)

Which rooms currently have an overhead (ceiling) light fixture? I'd start with raplacing those with ceiling fans. They will be more practical (no extension cords or oscillating fans to trip over and clutter the room) and you can reverse the rotation and use them in the summer as well.

We don't have any overhead fans. Our bedroom has recessed lighting as does rooms on the main floor. I'll have to think about this.

Top of the stairs we have two ceiling light fixtures that we could potentially add a ceiling fan there. Having a ceiling fan in our bedroom would be helpful I think as it is farthest from stairs and always the coolest room upstairs.

Jumped in with both feet - congrats:)

Ceiling fans would be the easiest route. Fans at the top of the stairs could be used to draw air up - a place to start to see how things work.

Scott discovered an issue with the tile on top of our chimney that needs to be addressed by chimney sweep. Stove in in fireplace but not hooked up yet. Beautiful, and it fit well into our living room decor. It was manufactured July 2011.

With Empress only going, house has significant differences in temps on first floor. I look forward to seeing how evenly it heats with both running.

It is quite satisfying to know we have more control over our heating costs and not at mercy of the oil man's pricing. Our oil company estimates of our 800 gallons a year 200 goes for hot water. We hope to fill up oil tank and only use it for hot water for 5-6 months to get a feel if that is somewhat accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.