Second saw to compliment a 346xp.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halligan

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern Massachusetts
I currently have a newer Husqvarna 346XP with 18" B&C, an old Husqvarna 45 with 16" B&C, and a really old Homelite SuperXL. I'm thinking of getting a bigger saw to compliment the 346 and selling the old 45. I recon I'm a Husqvarna man so what would be a good size saw to purchase. It appears the 372XP is well liked along with the 576XP.

In retrospect I wish I purchased a 562XP instead of the 346. I would have covered most of my firewood saw needs between my old 45 and new 562.

Hey Halligan, I'm a Stihl guy so I'm no authority on Huskies, but I've seen many references on this site to the 372XP as being a great saw. I'm sure some of the Huskie folks will chime in here soon. Good cutting!

The 562XP is a very nice saw. But there is no replacement for displacement.

A 70cc class saw will better compliment the 45cc-50cc class.

If it was gonna be a one saw collection. Then the 562xp or MS362 would be the ticket. But having smaller/lighter saws, go with the saw that can handle the BIG bar/Skip tooth. For the few times when needed.

Reactions: Thistle
The 372 is on my short list. I'm thinking it's down to either the 372 or the 576. I'm guessing Husqvarna meant for the 576 to replace the 372 but with the following the 372 has Husqvarna kept it around a bit longer.

The 372xp is one of husqvarna's top saw's very well liked ,tried and true !

The 372 is on my short list. I'm thinking it's down to either the 372 or the 576. I'm guessing Husqvarna meant for the 576 to replace the 372 but with the following the 372 has Husqvarna kept it around a bit longer.

About the only thing the current 372XP has in common with the saw that's created all the buzz is the model number. Husqvarna has a new engine that's stratocharged (for emissions purposes and should help save fuel too.) in that machine now. Doesn't make it a bad saw, just something you should be aware of.

I'm kinda a tech nut but if I were to be buying a brand-new saw, I really like what I see as far as the new Autotune/Mtronic machines out there. I'm guessing the 576XP is going to deliver the latest and best that Husqvarna has to offer while the 372XP will sell to guys replacing the same or who heard from a friend of their brother in-law's cousin that that's the saw to buy. ;)

Picked up a brand new 372 on friday for a hell of a deal from local dealer. I personally can't tell the difference between a old one and my new one, but he hasn't herd anything bad at all with the new engines. He HAS herd about/seen a bunch of bad things with the new autotune. Actually a local tree service's 562 last week went all haywire on them and started to dump fuel into the saw. Now, i'm coming from a MS250, and have been a stihl man all my life. Was looking at the new 441, until this husky dealer could get me a great deal, so i went with that. (I think of husky vs. sthil as Chevy vs. GMC, both the same freakin' truck) I was weary about the new autotune in the 41, and even in the 562 and he kinda made my mind up for me.

If I were you i'd go with a saw 70cc+. Great all around saw, and never too big for what you, or I need. A MS362 at my local dealer is going for $699 + 44$ at 6.3% sales tax.. Heck you can get a brand new 372 on ebay if you want to go that route for $759 right now, no tax and free shipping. I was worried about the almost 15lb powerhead, but so far I havent noticed it at all. Am I gonna need a 28in bar? Not for trees in CT, but nice to have to stump trees, or the one or two big trees i run into a year. Now a 20in bar on a 70cc saw will make short/easy work of anything I encounter. If you want the extra power now, why not just buy it? No sence is wishing you went a little bigger. Quite happy with my purchase so far.

I hear good things about the strato 372, but I'm with mastermech, something is intriguing about the autotune/mtronic saws.

If I were to purchase a 372 what length bar should I get? I'm thinking a 20" for general use and having a 24" backup just in case. :)

I know one thing, thank God my wife is an understanding woman.

If I go with the advised 20" and 28" should I run a skip tooth on the 28" bar?

Made my decision on a saw. After handling both the 372 and the 576 I decided I liked the lighter weight and cheaper cost of the 372 over the 576. My dealer also hooked me up on the price by knocking some additional $$$$ off the saw. I purchased the saw with the 28" B&C. My dealer was out of stock for 20" bar's so I'll have to get one later.

Thanks for the advice I received and I agree that a 28" bar is the better choice than the 24" to compliment the 20" bar.
050.JPG052.JPG051.JPG

What did it run you?

Nice saw at a nice price. I predict that is a purchase you'll never regret. You'll love that saw. A C

Made my decision on a saw. After handling both the 372 and the 576 I decided I liked the lighter weight and cheaper cost of the 372 over the 576. My dealer also hooked me up on the price by knocking some additional $$$$ off the saw. I purchased the saw with the 28" B&C. My dealer was out of stock for 20" bar's so I'll have to get one later.

Thanks for the advice I received and I agree that a 28" bar is the better choice than the 24" to compliment the 20" bar.
View attachment 82264View attachment 82265View attachment 82266

Have you used it yet Halligan? Curious how you like the 28" bar on that puppy.

~Bruce

Have you used it yet Halligan? Curious how you like the 28" bar on that puppy.

~Bruce

I used it last weekend to buck up a white oak that a utlility company dropped. I only had the 20" bar on it but it cut like a hot knife through butter. Another fellow was cutting nearby with an hold Homelite Super XL and he was quite impressed with the speed the 372 cut through the wood. The 372 ran out of gas with 2 cuts to go so I fired up my 346xp to finish up and it seemed like a toy after running the 372 for a couple hours.

To be honest, I won't use that 28" bar too often, it more of a "just in case bar".

Status
Not open for further replies.