Second saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Greetings,
Two weeks ago, went out to fell some trees and got my bar pinched twice. I bought a couple wedges, but then I got to thinking about how it would have been nice to have a second saw, with maybe a bigger bar, to fell. Only scrounging for personal use--about 1-2 cords/year--but I like doing it.

SO: I have an MS-250 with RSC chain that I really, really like (I like the weight, reliability, and performance). Second saw? I assume Stihl so the bars/chains would be swappable and so I know how they run.

S

thinkxingu said:
Greetings,
Two weeks ago, went out to fell some trees and got my bar pinched twice. I bought a couple wedges, but then I got to thinking about how it would have been nice to have a second saw, with maybe a bigger bar, to fell. Only scrounging for personal use--about 1-2 cords/year--but I like doing it.

SO: I have an MS-250 with RSC chain that I really, really like (I like the weight, reliability, and performance). Second saw? I assume Stihl so the bars/chains would be swappable and so I know how they run.

S

290 or 310

Get a spare bar and chain for the saw you have now. If the saw gets pinched, take the power head off the stuck bar and use the spare to cut the saw free. Even if you do get a another saw it's still a good idea to remove the engine from a stuck saw before cutting the bar loose.

You could make a plunge cut in the face of your notch, then put your wedge in, then make your backcut, thats what I do when the tree is leaning the opposite way I want it to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.