1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Second saw?

Post in 'The Gear' started by thinkxingu, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thinkxingu

thinkxingu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH
    Greetings,
    Two weeks ago, went out to fell some trees and got my bar pinched twice. I bought a couple wedges, but then I got to thinking about how it would have been nice to have a second saw, with maybe a bigger bar, to fell. Only scrounging for personal use--about 1-2 cords/year--but I like doing it.

SO: I have an MS-250 with RSC chain that I really, really like (I like the weight, reliability, and performance). Second saw? I assume Stihl so the bars/chains would be swappable and so I know how they run.

S

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    290 or 310
  3. sedanman

sedanman New Member

Get a spare bar and chain for the saw you have now. If the saw gets pinched, take the power head off the stuck bar and use the spare to cut the saw free. Even if you do get a another saw it's still a good idea to remove the engine from a stuck saw before cutting the bar loose.
  4. 575xp

575xp New Member

Loc:
    northern maine
    You could make a plunge cut in the face of your notch, then put your wedge in, then make your backcut, thats what I do when the tree is leaning the opposite way I want it to go.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.