Secondaries in back of stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Is this common? I usually have the secondaries rolling toward the glass, and the occasional sudden burst that swirls around the front of the insert, but today all I am getting is the back of the insert. Could it be clogged? I really don't want to let it sit to clean it, but if you think that is my problem ( a cleaning) I will it die out.

Many thanks in advance..

It's not unusual to have flame erupt randomly. This might just be a particular piece of wood is outgassing more in the back of the stove at the moment. I'd observe it with another load of two of wood. If the stove is still putting out good heat I might wait until milder weather to clean.

Most of the time I get mine in the back of the stove. It might have something to do the way I load me stove which is E/W. Therefor the wood in the front catches on fire the one in the back off gases. It's just my theory.

This might just be a particular piece of wood is outgassing more in the back of the stove at the moment. I'd observe it with another load of two of wood
That would be my guess. No two loads ever burn exactly the same. When you have the heat shield off, you'll see that there's another air channel about half way back, across the top of the box, so smoke back there can flame up like that...

Typical burn for me - secondaries in the back. All 4 tubes when it's really rocking.

Yeah. The back tube is closest to the secondary air intake. Air takes the path of least resistance. Kinda like me. Was there bark on the top of the split in back. It will provide an early light show.

Status
Not open for further replies.