Secondaries or no?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jearley35purdue

Nov 8, 2014
Clinton, Ohio
Hey y'all just wondering if someone could confirm from my video if I'm getting secondaries at all. I'm not 100% sure I even know what they look like. I've got my stove cruising at about 500 with the air as low as it can go. It's just at times I see the upper manifold for secondary throwing off burns to the left and right and then at other times I get low, slow rolling, blue glow along the manifold at the top. Which is secondary burn and which isn't? Or are they both just at different phases of the burn. Sorry for the dumb question from a newbie as I'm sure you seasoned burners get tired us types asking this kind of stuff.

Sounds like there is secondary burning. The video is private. Must change to public.

Looks good. Any flames between the wood and the baffle are essentially secondaries. Sometimes you have a sudden rush of flames going through the firebox. That's when volatile gases from the wood/coals accumulate in the top but there is not enough air or high enough temperature to ignite them at first. Opening the air by a bit can help with that.

Thanks guys, thought it was ok but was just looking for some confirmation. I did notice that I have to put some smaller splits in along the top of my stack to keep those secondaries running longer. Still trying to figure out the tricks of the trade to run this thing like it should be...

When the temps outside drop you will see everything improve with the improved draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.