Secondaries won't last

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
I'm a bit stumped trying to learn more about our new Jotul F55. Been burning it for a couple months now, cleaned the stove pipe yesterday and am ready to really let her burn. Problem is I can't seem to get the secondary burn to last. I put three nice dried out oak splits in, primary wide open until stovetop ~450F (stove pipe probe temp ~700F). At 450F stovetop temp, I turn the primary down 1/2, let it go a few minutes then turn down all the way. Within 5', secondaries are all gone and just a lazy flame with temps starting to drop. A bit frustrating since I'm also not getting very long burn times. maybe 2-3 hrs on 3 splits.

Oak is dense. You need to set the air according to the wood species. Try closing the air to 75 or 80% instead of all the way. This is how I need to run our stove when burning locust.

How long has the oak been seasoning since it was split and stacked? If less than a couple years it could still be damp in its core. In that case even more air may be necessary or mix it with drier wood like ash.

A big light show is pretty, but it is not the most efficient if you are going for long burn times. If the flames are erratic and lazy that is just about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.