Secondaries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Starting this season My stove would get ragging secondaries that seamed to float over my firewood which didn't even look like it was on fire. Not only was this cool look, it gave me the feedback that the stove was operating correctly.

Lately I have been burning well seasoned 2 year white oak and maple. The wood burns great, there is no visible smoke from the chimney and the stove top temps range between 400-550. With that said it seems like I am not getting any secondary flame action, only wood burning action. It also seems like I am burning through wood fairly quickly.

Is it possible that my air is open too much (1/4 open) and my draft is really good (really cold out)?

Eventually Ill figure this stove out....

It is possible. Is the stove top at 400-550 comparable temps to when you said you had "raging" secondaries? Just trying to compare stove operation.

Also - keep in mind that "raging" secondaries are not really a requirement. It doesn't mean that the stove isn't still functioning properly.

As you say, it's possible that the air could be too high for this new wood. Too much air might push the combustion products past the secondaries before it can all burn. Won't hurt to try burning with less air to slow it down.

What kind of wood were you using before, with the more active secondaries? Different wood will require a little different operation and may look different burning. The moisture content may be different, and different species will burn differently.

Anyway like Jags says, you don't always get beautiful secondaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.