secondary air no tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2005
I have been looking at a few inexpensive stoves. US stove 2500 and Horse Flame 517. These stoves actually look to be the same. The manuals are identical. The thing that puzzles me is that
The exploded parts diagram shows no Secondary air tubes, just a secondary air plate.

Can anyone comment on this?

I have been using a Hearthstone Craftsburry with normal air tubes and it works fantastic.
I am just wondering has the technology advanced or have the scammers advanced.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,137
I don't know that I WOULDN'T buy a stove that didn't have the tubing that I was used to seeing. Technology changes all the time, since the box itself won't.

Stick with what you're used to, and comfortable with, if new designs seem less than what you want. I'd imagine that the old addage that says "you get what you pay for" may apply to lower-priced models.

-Soupy1957

The U.S. Stove Company 2500 is a plate steel stove with standard ceramic baffle and burn tube technology. The Horse Flame is an imported cast iron stove. Where did you find a manual for a 2500 that looks the same as the Horse Flame?

Any new stove has to meet the EPA emmisions regulations, so it's going to burn a lot more efficiently than a pre 1989 stove. Personally, I feel more comfortable with the secondary air tubes because I've had several stoves I've liked with them and I can see them working. I would stick with a well know quality brand like Hearthstone, Lopi, Avalon, Quadrafire, etc.

If you're looking for a cheap stove that is still good quality & reliable, check out the Englander NC-30- a ton of members, including a couple of the mods, have them, & have done nothing but praise the stove.

I have two EPA compliant stoves. The Lopi Liberty in the house has secondary air tubes beneath a firebrick baffle. The little Century in my shop has a double steel plate baffle, secondary air holes in the bottom plate, firebricks on top of it. Different ways to achieve the same result. They both burn clean. Rick

PE stoves don't have the tubes either, their secondary holes are on the stainless insulated baffle, great design imo. Like Fossil stated there is more ways than just burn tubes to get a clean burn.

The Napoleons have yet another variation, a central north-south stainless channel with air holes out each side. Makes for a different airflow/flame pattern than the tubes, sort of a sideways vortex.

My Jotul Castine [F400] has a plate and no tubes - so what??

The Castine has a tiered, secondary air rack under the solid baffle. It works quite well.

I think both those stoves are made in china. Crap, everything is made in china.

Not always so. China can make good products. I was surprised to find that my new 1/2" cordless Makita drill was made in China. I was concerned about this and nearly returned it. But in the field it was proving itself as a durable tool. Now, 4 years later, I have worked this thing hard building a wood shed and greenhouse amongst other projects and it has really impressed me. On the other hand, every pvc ball valve installed in the irrigation system leaks. Mueller B&K valves used to be good American valves. Guess where they are making them now?

Status
Not open for further replies.