Secondary Air Tube placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
Another thread sparked my interest in a mini experiment and now i've wondered up another.

I feel this one needs some good discussion before even attempting it however.

Here's my idea.....In the Woodstock Progress Hybrid, the secondary air tubes are positioned so that the exit holes are facing downward, instead of downward forward angle we see on most all other non cat stoves, giving a more robust viewing experience. If my secondary air tubes can be adjusted (without destructive modification) would it be safe to point them down? Would this alter efficiency? What are your thoughts/concerns?

Hmmm, not sure there's much difference in efficiency pointing down vs pointing down and forward. Maybe the down and forward is to help with draft so the air moves forward toward the glass and up???

I'm not against experimentation, especially if it modifications can be reverted.

That said, I imagine that the engineers who designed that stove didn't just randomly choose an orientation for those tubes. A great deal of thought and testing probably went into it.

-SF

No doubt it is dependent upon the total design of the stove as to which direction those holes point. It might be fun to do some experimenting.

Almost all of PE secondary combustion holes point straight down.

The tubes are the way they are to 1.) introduce preheated air at the top of the firebox and 2.) induce turbulence. Not sure blowing the gases back down where they just came from would do it any better. But heck, it's your stove. :-S

On the 30-NC each tube is at a different angle.

In my former home I had an earlier model of Onyx that had too large of an EPA notch and too much draft causing a runaway condition. It would get so hot in the stove that the heat diffuser for the air wash melted down and the door glass got permanently etched. The foremost secondary tube blasted like a torch onto the diffuser and glass. I pulled the cotter pin and turned it 180 degrees so that the ports faced the opposite direction. I thought of drilling new holes for the cotter to try different angles but was happy with the results using the existing hole.

certified106 said:
Almost all of PE secondary combustion holes point straight down.

There are ports on the front that point straight ahead, then a row across the front pointing straight down, then a row about 1/2 way straight back that also point straight down, then finally a row along the back underneath the bent over flange on the bottom, secondary flow like a wave out of those across the top from back to front.
It would be cool to put small elbows into the holes on bottom to point in different directions. But they would get knocked loading her full most definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.