Secondary air tube Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemer

Feb 26, 2008
Northeast Pa
After reading post on secondary tubes outlet positions.I got thinking about mine.One of the first problems I had with my eko 60 was that I noticed one of my tube stuck out further than the other by about 3/8 to 1/2".I had to make a new adjuster to get it to seat because I ran out of thread.Now I'm thinking that maybe one of my tubes aren't lining up with the holes in the refractory holes.What do you think? is this a possibility?I guess I'll have to shut it down and use some kind of probe and fish it thru the nozzles and see if it lines up.any other ideas?The boiler has been heating my needs fine but I never can see a great difference when I make adjustments.Thanks

That's what happened to me, Kemer. What's happened is that the tack welds holding the pipe in place have broken, allowing the tube to walk forward. And you're right, you won't be able to adjust the air very well with one tube out of whack. I hired a welder to come and re-tack both pipes back in place for $40. I sent a copy of the bill and a photo of the problem to my dealer and he sent me a check. The reason they tack weld the pipes, according to the dealer, was so that it would be easier to remove the tubes some time in the future if you need to replace the refractory. Before tacking the loose tube back in place, be sure to line back up to the original position after you drive it in, because there are air holes in that tube that need to be in the correct position. Just line up where the old weld broke.

Eric ,Can you please decribe to me the path the seconrary takes.I know it has been said 3:00 and 9:00 but I thought it came from the adjusters and then exited to the 3:00 position to the nozzels.Where does it come from at the 9:00 position?

I don't know. We just matched up the broken weld and tacked it back in. Presumably air is injected into the nozzles from both sides of the tubes (left and right). I've never actually checked the orientation, but those who have describe it as 3:00 and 6:00 o'clock, and that's good enough for me.

If mine are right (they may not be) looking at the left hand secondary pipe that feeds the refractory the inlet holes are directed towards the inside of the boiler 3 oclock on the other side looking up the right secondary pipe the holes should be towards the inside of the boiler 9 oclock they face each other again mine could be wrong...Look at Eric's pic on the same post you are refering to, the pipe is hanging out a little...Dave

TacoSteelerMan said:
If mine are right (they may not be) looking at the left hand secondary pipe that feeds the refractory the inlet holes are directed towards the inside of the boiler 3 oclock on the other side looking up the right secondary pipe the holes should be towards the inside of the boiler 9 oclock they face each other again mine could be wrong...Look at Eric's pic on the same post you are refering to, the pipe is hanging out a little...Dave

sounds like yours is right. I also had the problem with the pipes moving out and welded them back in myself. I have the 80 and my theory is the 60 and 80 have longer lenght pipes and with thermo expansion they will exert more force if the refactory is tight. Once I rewelded I haven't had any problem.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.