Secondary air tubes EKO creeping out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

easternbob

Nov 29, 2007
Central NY
Last night I was cleaning things out and took the plate that holds the fan on. I noticed as I was trying to put the cover/plate back on that both of the secondary air tubes had worked there way out almost an inch (?). You could see scuff marks on the tubes, maybe like as things heated and then cooled they had been creeping out over the years. I used a heavy hammer and was able to gently tap them back into position
Has anyone else noticed this??
I noticed that I wasn't getting much air out of the secondary nozzel on the right side and after tapping them back in I now have full flow of air.
Something to keep an eye on.

Years ago, there was a rash of these where the tack weld holding the tube in place was missing or marginal. Sounds like yours may have the same problem. Any chance to do a tack weld? Otherwise, I would expect the problem to recur.

Didn't notice any welds but then again I wasn't looking. Maybe this is a good excuse to buy one of those 110v MIG welders, becuase my Big Lincoln doesn't have long enough cables to reach out to the boiler.
But I guess if I have to tap them back in every year or two it's not too big of a deal. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Had me scratching my head for a bit.

... if I have to tap them back in every year or two it's not too big of a deal.
I think the issue is that even a bit of movement really messes with your secondary air settings. Guess you'll *have* to buy that welder now ;-)

The secondary tunes on my Eko were missing the weld to hold them in place. At one point a wood Gas explosion in the upper chamber drove one of the tubes with enough energy to push out the front plate causing a large dent. I would suggest getting the tubes properly fastened ASAP

Good point on the secondary air settings. I did have to adjust them (a lot!) after I tapped them back in.
Never thought one of those explosions would move the tubes I thought it was more gradual.

Status
Not open for further replies.