Secondary Air tubes sometimes glow? Quadrafire/NorthStar/Constituion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fairly new North Star fireplace.
It's same design as Quadrafire models (same design, same company Hearth & Home).
My question is, sometimes my secondary air tubes glow red, well, usually just the middle one (there are three right-2-left tubes, in back, in front and a middle one).
Is that a problem? Since it's not a stove, I can't get a "stove" temperature comparison, I can only measure at the top of the doors which is going to be less than a 'stovetop' reading. 425-450 is about as hot as I want that or feel comfortable right now, to get there I have to let it ride full open for 30minutes on a reload over very hot coals, usually secondary kicks in about 350, but if I close the air then the secondary stops, I usally let to go till 400, then shut it down about halfway to it's sweet spot where it'll maintain secondary for a few hours.
But that middle tube sometimes it's getting blown at from the back one, like a blast secondary, no other flames, and sometimes the tube glows. The manual doesn't say anything about what is overfire, just not to overfire it.
I read one post only here where one guy posted his tubes glow all the time.
Is it ok? The baffle and blanket are in excellent shape (unit is only couple months old), and installed properly.

My Quad 4300st does it almost every night. I was worried at first but I have been using for a year now with no trouble.

Same thing happens to my Endeavor's middle tube, even when the stovetop temp is a "lowly" 450-500F. Must be a lot of heat concentrated in that area.

Happens with all of the tube type reburn stoves.

That just means its burning good. Now if it looks radioactive or turns white, then that's the danger zone.

Well, good, I feel better.

Perhaps to really sooth my mind if some quad owner could take a couple readings, stovetop and top of door while at peak, and again stovetop and top of door before re-load, then I could compare my door temps (which is all I can take) with all the stovetop temps that are so common here.

There's and atta-boy in it for ya! And my personal gratitude, if anyone so endeavors.

I have gotten our showroom model (Northstar) up to 600 deg on the door. It was not even glowing yet that I recall.

I ran a Quad fireplace insert in a poorly insulated house, so it was running wide open much of the time. I got the tubes into the glowing stage on a regular basis every time the wood gas was burning off. Went through about 4 cord a year for 4 years like this, seems as though its quite normal with the Quads.

Status
Not open for further replies.