Secondary burn - does your stove manual mention it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Does anyone have a stove in which the manual clearly spells out what secondary burn is and how to achieve it? I have read a few different Jotul manuals and the F-100 Nordic states it clearly. The F-3, Castine, Oslo and Firelight manuals only tell you what the optimal running temperature range is. The wording in all the manuals are almost exact, which I find strange that it is not consistent through all their manuals. The 118 Black Bear has a secondary combustion air control lever with 3 positions. There is ample explanation to operate it for secondary combustion.

I'm wondering if most owners aren't aware of secondary combustion and how to achieve it?

What does your stove or insert manual say?

Nothing mentioned in our manual, but then, it is a Fireview with a catalyst. The fire shows are just as good as any secondary and sometimes better. I do wonder if Woodstock will add something with the new stove being secondary and cat combined.

Most stove docs do a poor job of explaining secondary burn. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Woodstock will have something in their new manual for the new stove. They are working on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.