Secondary burn furnace exhaust temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozark Woodburner

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2010
North Arkansas
I just installed a Napoleon HMF furnace that is a secondary burn furnace. I have only had a couple fires at this point, but I have noticed the flue does not get nearly as hot as a wood stove. Even with a roaring fire I can only get 275 degrees on the surface and it is normally 150-250 degrees. Is this normal? I do not have a probe installed but do have a simple magnetic gauge on the single wall pipe 1 behind the furnace.

Otherwise, this thing is awesome. I cannot believe the amount of wood, or lack of wood that I'm burning.

Yup, perfectly normal. I've been curious to hear from a user of that furnace. It's setup like our caddy, but a few more options. I find our flue temps are about the same as what your reading. 250 external is a very hot furnace. What did you have prior? I also was surprised with the lack wood ours used. Did you choose a glass door or insulated?

I had an older wood stove prior. I got the glass door with mine. Watching that secondary burn work is awesome and I thought you had to have a roaring fire for that to happen but that is not the case. Three small sticks are lasting 10+ hours in mild weather (mid 30s at night, 60s during the day). The heat coming off this thing after the fire has burnt out is what impresses me.

Thats awesome, you'll have to keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.