secondary burn problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fullbore

Dec 11, 2007
Northeast PA
I'm having a new problem tonight with my Quad 5700. I filled the stove as usual, brought the chimney flue up to about 550, shut down the start-up air(15 minutes as usual), and let the stove climb up to 500 degrees(on front door area) at full throttle for almost an hour. I tried to choke it down about half-way but lost my secondary burn. I opened the air controls again for ten minutes bringing the flue back to 550, tried to choke it down and lost my secondary burn after two minutes. the stove is at a solid 500 degrees and the chimney is only 300 and falling. I know the wood is fine but seems to smolder as I cut back the air supply. Could the chimney be blocked? I've never had a problem until tonight. The smoke appeared to be rising as usual...

Generally this sounds like a wet wood problem. You might have grabbed a few pieces that weren't quite ready to burn and generally they'll stifle the secondary burn for a couple times. Usually I have to do the whole cycle (char, shut-down, lose secondary, curse, open back up) about 2-3 times before it'll cruise with the secondary burn rolling.

I'm a newbie with my quadra-fire 4300...do you need a thermometer to correctly tell if your secondary burn is working? I dunno.

That's my usual routine, try a couple times to choke down and re-open. This morning, I loaded six medium oak splits, opened both air controls and expected my normal 550 on the stack. After 15 minutes, I was only hitting 300 on the stack. I think something is wrong since the draft seems poor and the fire didn't take off as usual. I think should probably call a chimney sweep. Has anyone tried a chimney sweeping log.

Have you checked the flue cap to see if the screen is clogging?

I'm not really sure where the screen is located. I guess I'm a little worried b/c I noticed some black soot at the top of the chimney when I was burning pine. I'm taking the day off from work so that I can take a look at least from the clean-out...

wet wood

gotta be wet wood..I purchased a moisture meter last week and have been checking my wood from time to time..I am gunning anywhere from 15-25% moinsture

bokehman said:
BeGreen said:
Have you checked the flue cap to see if the screen is clogging?
If the screen is blocked why doesn't it show up with the primary open?

Marginal draft. I suspect less than ideal wood is clogging the flue system.

I think I may have over-reacted thinking my flue was blocked...I took my father's advice of "fire the damn thing up!" I opened both air controls let the flue climb to 600 and the stove climb to 700. It only took about an hour and the fire is burning steady at 600 on the door(90% choked down). I then heard a rumble and vibration. It sounded like a freight train. IT WAS! Two diesel's and a bunch of coal hoppers passing through, out back! LOL. I guess I must have some crappy wood mixed in the pile.

PS: Chimney sweeping stuff (tsb,logs,sticks, etc) are OK for trying to keep buildup down to a minumum but they are no substitute for cleaning. If you can get to the top of your flue, you should go take a look at how it is put together, the cap, liner and etc.
It is really easy to run a brush down the liner every so often (when you get a thaw) to make sure its clean.

If you have a good pair of binoculars or a small telescope, go outside and examine your chimney cap - most have a screen on them which has a tendency to get plugged with creosote - this can keep you from drafting properly even if the rest of the chimney is clean - if you can see through the screen it's probably OK, but if the screen looks plugged up, you will need to either call a sweep, or go up there yourself and clean it out - giving the chimney a brush at the same time certainly wouldn't hurt.

The sometime cure for screens that clog excessively is to use a pair of cutters to remove every other wire from the grid - this leaves enough to stop most anything in the way of critters or debris, but makes for bigger, harder to clog holes for the smoke to get out. (Note - this may also be illegal in some areas...) - it might also be wet wood as others have suggested.

Gooserider

I'm sure it was wet wood since everything is working fine. I did call the dealer and they told me there is no screen. I'm gonna take a look asap but I can barely hit the roof line with a 40' ladder fully extended. The cap is another 5' above that and about 1' laterally due to the 30 degree elbows.

Status
Not open for further replies.