secondary burn temp and altitude

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buol

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
tetons, wy
i just got a replacement cat from stovecombustor.com (clearskies) which i got clued in to in this thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/48645
(thanks to redburn!)

their cat is thinner/different technology and says it kicks in at 380 degrees, less than the 450 that the vc manual states with the ceramic cat it had. i'm at 6500', so wood gases probably escapes off at lower temps (like water does). does anyone know if that also would proportionately lower the secondary ignition temp? i'll put it in this w/e after i try cleaning with the sooteater i just got to hopefully be able to clean w/o going up top (which is under about 2' of snow already).

bump
anybody w/altitude re: ignition temp info? i put in the new cat today and am firing now, seems to be +++. will post a pic comparing to old vc technology tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.