Secondary burn tubes holes-horizontal or vertical?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
I notice that the four of mine have the air-tube holes horizontal facing the front of the insert. Which makes for a nice light show :coolsmile: Did I not read on this forum that some of the air-holes are facing straight down? If so, any advantage one way or the other? Just wondering cause my light show can start as early as 350F as measured by the thermometer on the top of the insert.

Most all I have seen are horizontal and face the front of the firebox. The flames from the back tubes project forward and add extra heat to the tubes in front. Seems like there might be a slight bit to be gained by angling the front tubes to blow slightly downward as that might create a little more turbulence in the air and also start the combustion slightly sooner allowing more of it to take place in the firebox...though I would expect the difference to be pretty small.

The manual for my 30NC shows each of the tubes holes positioned at specific angles, not just horizontal or vertical.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
The manual for my 30NC shows each of the tubes holes positioned at specific angles, not just horizontal or vertical.

-SF

Same with my 13NCP......the manual specifies specific angles for each. The one in the back faces the furthest down and the one in the front faces the most horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.