Secondary burner working?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Millertime2531

Sep 25, 2020
Massachusetts
Does this secondary combustion baffle appear to be working. Shouldn’t I be seeing some type of flames from this baffle? Burning at about 700 degrees in this video. I’ve never seen any flames near the top of this unit

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    17.5 MB
I don't see any secondary combination air ports, but might not be able to see them in the video.

I was able to download and see the first video. Are there secondary air ports?

Must be a PE stove. If so, perhaps @begreen can give you aome insight. Also, you don't need to run that hot to get secondary combustion. I get it as low as 400 STT.

Last edited:
It’s a supreme elegance. Not sure what temps I would see at. Lots of contradictions in the web. Not really sure what I should be looking for as I don’t see much going on like what other ppl seem to get. It’s a 2020 epa unit

Yes, the Supreme Elegance has no relationship to Pacific Energy. I am not sure this fireplace even has secondary burn except as the flames round the baffle. The EPA report says secondary air is added above the baffle. There are supposed to be drawings showing how the firebox is constructed but that page (appendix 6) is blank. As noted, it passed 2020 certif. so obviously secondary burn is happening, somewhere.

"The Secondary Air Control is a patented mechanism (Patent No: US 9,476,593 B2) that regulates the air flow into the baffle system based on the temperature of the unit. It is located on the top of the firebox, above the secondary air intake channel. The secondary air control of the 38SFC is factory set and has no intervention of the user. Please refer to page 59 of 38SFC_TECH_DRAW.pdf for details on the Secondary Air Control assembly."

I see holes in the bottom of the baffle from the original link.

I also see that there is air blowing down into the flames from the baffle causing turbulence. Cut your primary air back some, I think you will then see flames at the secondaries.

Yea I kind of figured it’s happening somewhere. Just trying to get things figured out as this, and burning, is a new experience for me. I looked out at chimney and there is no smoke so it’s burning clean.