secondary combustion in a CAT stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozarkjeep

Nov 6, 2006
so, this morning, I re-stoked the fireplace.

built a BIG HOT fire, 600 degree top of stove temp.

shut the air intake down, and for almost 1 solid minute, saw secondary combustion whisping away right under the shelf that houses the cat combustor.

Now, my cat is worn out I think, i had the cat damper bypass OPEN ( cat NOT engaged)

the secondary combustion went out after a minute or so, I assume it ran out of available oxygen with the intake completely closed.

so NOW im thinking.

I want to ad some stainless tubes in the top, with holes drilled, and have a control outside to control that secondary burn tube airflow.

a cat stove, AND a non cat secondary system in the same stove.
I need some scrap stainless tubing ( about 4 feet), and some time with a drill bit, and some flat stock to make the door to control the airflow.

Has anyone else ever seen secondary combustion in a stove that is NOT equipped with secondary tubes?

Sure. My old pre-EPA stove did secondary combustion up at the baffle throughout the burn. When you had that stove up to six hundred you had a firebox temp of around 1,200 and that will light off any gases that come in contact with air. Probably from your airwash from the glass.

ok, so the principle of secodnary combustion is as simple as adding some fresh oxygen to the 1200 gases?

BrotherBart said:
Sure. My old pre-EPA stove did secondary combustion up at the baffle throughout the burn. When you had that stove up to six hundred you had a firebox temp of around 1,200 and that will light off any gases that come in contact with air. Probably from your airwash from the glass.

Essentially. Now how much and preheating it is the challange.

how much is easily handled by an adjustable damper on the secondary air input, Ill just have to adjust it to get a sustained burn.

preheating doesnt seem to be much of an issue

BrotherBart said:
Essentially. Now how much and preheating it is the challange.

Why worry about it? Kick in the cat and let it do its thing.

true enough, but right now for instance, my wood is covered in snow, and wet, so im not engaging the cat much PLUS I think its worn out. ( i will replace it when I get a chance to try with dry wood)

But the fact that I can get secondary burn with this barely seasoned wet wood, makes me think it might be of benifit to have that capability also.

a bit more RnD to do, but it doesnt seem to require too much time, effort, or materials to see it thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.