secondary combustion questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodzilla

Dec 23, 2007
Mid-Michigan
with this current cold snap. I am wondering if my stove is being used as efficiently as possible. Does air supply need to be closed completly for sec. Combustion to occur? When i do this when stovetop temp hits @400 I get a rolling flame for a min or so, then almost no flame at all. Chimney puts out more gray smoke. Should I be more concerned with stovetop temp, secondary combustion, or color of smoke from chimney(should it be clear).going to thank in advance

You want to close your air supply much of the way but not all the way. You still need to have some air supply for combustion.

Ok, I know this is a newb question, but how do I know if I'm getting second combustion? I assume the smallish, whispy blue/orange flames I see near the top of the box are 2nd combustion, is that right?

They can be almost ghostlike, drifting blue-yellow flames. Or with a hot full load of wood and plenty of air they can look like a blazing Niagra flowing at the top of the stove.

Here's a video of my stove in the Niagra mode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR98Z4zvX8k

thanks for input. Now, let's say fire is dying down no more sec flames, should air be increased?

That depends. In your case it "sounds" like you could give it some more air for awhile. How thick are the splits you're burning? Experiment a bit.

This really varies a lot from stove to stove and is affected by the flue, firebox size, wood, split thickness, etc.. In some stoves the show is over in an hour and there are several large black logs still glowing, giving off lots of heat and burning for several more hours. My stove has a smallish firebox, so the secondary show is usually over in a couple hours. If all that remains are large ashen coals, then they get raked towards the air (front on my stove) and air gets opened up to burn them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.