Secondary DYI DONE!!! - Your opinion pls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carlo@ITALIA

Dec 2, 2017
Italy
Hello ! I finally achieved a secondary combustion please see the attached video and pls tell what you think about!!!
(see the small blue flames from the tube - up left)

BYE

Looks like secondary combustion to me. I also see bluish flame which I think means it’s burning efficient ( I could be wrong).

Did you construct the secondary tube yourself?
HI ! Yes indeed. Actually I placed a couple of plumber tubes inside. Air is taken from the primary source so i am not so able to control primary vs secondary combustion....when it goes very high temp it is really efficient ...but as said the burn time is not yet optimal.
to improve that i need to do a couple of holes somewhere and let the tubes take air from that..this will definitely improbe both efficiency and burn time.

bye

This was all the rage quite a few years back on here, quite a few old pre-epa units got upgrades.

Any way to pipe the air seperate? Even with the secondary wide open, primary almost closed you should get a more robust secondary burn. I just recently did a secondary diy modification on my stove and have been pleased with results. Good luck !

Any way to pipe the air seperate? Even with the secondary wide open, primary almost closed you should get a more robust secondary burn. I just recently did a secondary diy modification on my stove and have been pHI leased with results. Good luck !

Hi Crocks! thanks for your feedback and suggestion !
Yes this is my intention. I would do a couple of holes at the front-bottom of the fireplace, have pipe(s) running below the hash tray , go up vertically at the bottom of the combustion chamber and then redistribute on the top.

NOW questions:
- how should I size the section of the pipes?
- and what is the best position for the tubes releasing the air?
- will standard plumber tubes last?

Very interested to see your project...

THANKS A LOT
carlo