Seconday burn only kicks in at 700 stove top temp. Should I be worried?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
Seems hot to me. Stove cooks fine at that temp, but my Mag thermometer rates anything over 550 as "Overburn". Is this safe or should I just give up on secondary burn? The stove is a Century FW300010.

Thanks

Never pay attention to the thermometer scales. They are set for some kind of old system up two feet on the pipe- or for nothing at all (just a guess)....

First, consider that these thermometers can be off. Even when working well, they could be 10% off.

Second, you have to consider the stove and where the thermometer is located. The best place on most model is on the top plate, assuming it in single wall.

At that point on the stove, you will see temps from a low of about 500 to a high of 800+. 700 is probably a good temp for cold weather use.

A stove such as yours is a fast and hot burner. That means you may see high temps when new wood is added because of all the gases burning off - which means higher surface temps. It may get easier to regulate in the 2nd and 3rd stages of the fire when some of the initial gases are burned off. In short, you should aim for a nice visible secondary burn when new wood is added and when there are plenty of gases to be burned. At later stages of the fire, you will get less dancing and might be able to turn the air control down further.

There is an art to it, and after a few months of using the stove you will usually pick up on the nuances.

Another hint is to experiment with the raking of the embers before reloading. Sometimes this helps control the fire over the course of the new load

Webmaster said:
Never pay attention to the thermometer scales. They are set for some kind of old system up two feet on the pipe- or for nothing at all (just a guess)....

First, consider that these thermometers can be off. Even when working well, they could be 10% off.

Second, you have to consider the stove and where the thermometer is located. The best place on most model is on the top plate, assuming it in single wall.

At that point on the stove, you will see temps from a low of about 500 to a high of 800+. 700 is probably a good temp for cold weather use.

A stove such as yours is a fast and hot burner. That means you may see high temps when new wood is added because of all the gases burning off - which means higher surface temps. It may get easier to regulate in the 2nd and 3rd stages of the fire when some of the initial gases are burned off. In short, you should aim for a nice visible secondary burn when new wood is added and when there are plenty of gases to be burned. At later stages of the fire, you will get less dancing and might be able to turn the air control down further.

There is an art to it, and after a few months of using the stove you will usually pick up on the nuances.

Another hint is to experiment with the raking of the embers before reloading. Sometimes this helps control the fire over the course of the new load

Yeah! Now that you mentioned it, About 5 min after I reload I get secondary burn. It's like waiting for the grand finally at fireworks. I do have the meg thermometer on the top of the stove. I'm not too concerened, like you said, it seems to be a great temp. I am indeed learning the art, and I apperciate the info.

On a side note.... This site has been a blesing for me. Helping me understand how to use my new stove in an enjoyable and safe fashion. This is no way a kiss-up to our disagreement in another post. I just want to say thanks for such a great site, and for all the great information you help provide.

Chris

Webmaster said:
No problem. we're just messing with you (the hazing ritual, now bend over and ask for the paddle).....

I'm bending af far as I can. As a new guy.... I was so excited to be bless with a few FREE logs today. Spent 1/2 the day cutting and the other 1/2 splitting with an ax. So, yeah, I'm not very "Bendy" right now. In fact I can barly move. I can wait to feel the pain tomorrow!!!!!

What do you set your air control at when you have a good fire going? I want the most heat I can get and still be safe. I was also wondering what you set it at at bedtime? I have pretty much the same stove mine is a FW300011

hedgeburner said:
What do you set your air control at when you have a good fire going? I want the most heat I can get and still be safe. I was also wondering what you set it at at bedtime? I have pretty much the same stove mine is a FW300011

Good fire going-3/4 shut. Overnight assuming I already have a good fire, I shut it down 95-100%. It burns through the wood fine. By the time it get's to the creosote creating low temps, it is just hot coals which produce little or no creosote. Don't be afraid as long as you hve the proper set-up.

Thanks that is how I have been running it. I close it almost completely and get an awesome secondary burn this stove seems to heat really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.